Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-09-2020, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Compatibility with MacOS Catalina

https://townsendlabs.com

Like with many ex-Avid developers it's interesting that he is playing in the growing UAD ecosystem.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:01 PM

Oh wow -that's him? I had no idea. Very cool.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maalesh View Post
The editor and driver were working just fine on Catalina until yesterday when I got that "cannot initialize midi engine" error message. So now I'm running it on a Parallels / Windows 7 virtual machine within Catalina.
Ive found that, although not supported currently, it will work of a fashion in catalina with ultimate if you use the penultimate driver instead of the latest. I had it running on spdif into my rednet Dante setup. Recorded a couple of tracks then I updated the driver and it disappeared. It does crash on quit though with the earlier driver but will allow you to save.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:38 PM

So am I understanding correctly that Eleven Rack cannot be used as a midi converter device for using a guitar as a controller anymore? In Catalina? Man that totally sucks ass if so, as I've not used it in a while and now suddenly I need it.

So what's now the best way to get to turn an electric guitar into a midi controller?

When sequencing guitar parts using samples, I find playing the real deal makes the part much more authentic.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:50 PM

You can turn a regular guitar into a MIDI controller with an Eleven rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd101 View Post
So am I understanding correctly that Eleven Rack cannot be used as a midi converter device for using a guitar as a controller anymore? In Catalina? Man that totally sucks ass if so, as I've not used it in a while and now suddenly I need it.

So what's now the best way to get to turn an electric guitar into a midi controller?

When sequencing guitar parts using samples, I find playing the real deal makes the part much more authentic.
The Eleven Rack is an amp sim/effects processor. You can use MIDI to control changing parameters/rigs in the Eleven Rack from a computer or from a MIDI pedalboard (which does not rely on any driver). The Eleven Rack has never done anything you are talking about.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:05 PM

Trying to reel in the thread to its original subject. Six months ago I was told by Avid Customer Care that the Eleven Rack is supported until 2024 and that new drivers will be developed.

Now we have Big Sur, and I still can't upgrade beyond Mojave. In hopes that one of the admins reads this: Should we expect new drivers or should I start switching to a different hardware system since other software is starting to nag me to upgrade?

I'm sorry I cannot agree with the philosophy "it's an old interface, nothing lasts forever". It's still a perfectly good working unit, it was comparably expensive at the time, but most of all support promises should be kept. Or has the Donald Trump presidency set the general standard that we cannot believe words anymore?
Old 03-14-2021, 10:11 PM

Truly unacceptable they have refused to support the Eleven Rack and still say they will.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:43 PM

Greetings fellow Eleven Rack users. I opened a case with Avid Customer Care back in July and was told "Unfortunately we can't promise that Catalina Drivers will be available at this time". A fairly non-informative response. Will updated drivers EVER be available? I am getting the feeling the answer is no. I personally am looking at new interfaces - and will continue to use my 11R on SPDIF or AES ins on some new interface. I have heard reports that the 2nd to the last Control Software app runs on Catalina so you can at least dial in tones on the software as opposed to menu diving the hardware. Can anyone running Catalina with the control software only confirm this? I understand that the 11R will not work as an interface under Catalina - but if I can still dial in tones that would be cool.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:31 AM

I went a step further and reported them to the BBB and then received a reply from their tech dept saying that "We are currently gathering information regarding the status of the hardware's drivers."

The truth here is this AVID has not updated the drivers for Windows since 2016 and Mac OS since 2019 and they were selling the 11R until 6/13/19.

So a person could have bought a brand new 11R on 6/12/19 and AVID does not give them any driver updates yet. They say they will support the device until 2024 but yet they have not supported it for a long time, this is just bad business and false advertising IMHO.

Last edited by microstudio; 03-22-2021 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling correction