Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2003, 11:39 PM

Default Internal bussing issues within 5.3.1 XP!?

I've been running into a very irking and painful problem that I'm hoping someone has an explination for. I'm running 5.3.1 for XP Pro on a 1.7G P4/1G Pc133 and have been transfering projects from PT 5.0 from a different system on to mine. Everything seems to be working fine (getting about 8 or 9 st. Dverbs with 32 trx) but when I create aux sends (regardless of how many plugins I'm using) on individual trax and map them to an aux input my PC gets incredibily bogged down and comes up with the "CPU is to fragmented or drive is not fast enough" message. So after I unasign the buss/busses it works fine again. The strangest thing is that I can usually get about 30-40 seconds of perfect playback time after assinging busses to an aux input but then it just stops unexpectedly and I'm SOL. So I can have a bunch of verbs up but no aux sends! Oh god the pain. Is it the converted 5.0 projects? Does my mother board/chip just suck? Both? I've tried everything I can think of (dumped system a ton of times now) but can't figure this out at all. I've never run into this problem with our 98se rig where I work. Help would be very much appreciated!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Internal bussing issues within 5.3.1 XP!?

there's no bug in it, exept when using the optical sp/dif. the warning you get is not cpu too fragmented (this is a good one [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), but disk too fragmented or too slow. if you route the aux's to external hardware, there's more cpu needed for conversion of those signals. this, in combination with an amount of tracks coming of the harddisc, wich is obviously too slow or fragmented, is causing the cpu warning.
start with fragmenting the disc. are you using a 7200rpm hard disc? is compression off for that disc? do you have a dedicated audiodrive beside your systemdrive? these things could make the difference...
success!