Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 AM

Arrow What is the difference between HD Native & HDX

Friends,
I may sound noob, but Before I buy Pro Tools pls. advise me what is the difference between these 3 versions
HD Native
HDX
Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 AM

Default Re: What is the difference between HD Native & HDX

HD Native = processing done by host computer
HDX = processing done by DSP chips

Comparison
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM

HD Native Card + Omni interface is $4,500 street.
HDX Card + Omni interface is about $10,000 street.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritb View Post
Friends,
I may sound noob, but Before I buy Pro Tools pls. advise me what is the difference between these 3 versions
HD Native
HDX
Boy nobody really reads posts when they come on here, it's amazing you said 3 versions and they only told you about 2 of them. I'm surprised they didn't tell you that you should use what they have because it should be sufficient for everyone.

Ok here is a real answer that will help you out. First is pro tools the software, sells for 600, does not have full function unless you buy the add on software which is another 2000. You can use this with Avid's mbox USB or FireWire interfaces. You can also use it with any 3rd party interface like focusrite, presonus, apogee etc. can NOT use it with Avid's HD line of interfaces

Next is Pro Tools HD Native, starting price is 3500 for the Pcie card and the full version of Pro Tools HD, no extra software needed. The Pcie card handles all the in and out traffic with your computer at very high speeds so there is no noticeable latency. But the amount of tracks and plugins you use are dependant on the host computers processing power. This Pcie card CAN connect to Avid's HD interfaces but the card is NOT compatible with USB or FireWire interfaces.

Finally there is Pro Tools HDX. This is the big daddy, you get one Pcie card (expandable with additional Pcie cards) you also get the full Pro Tools HD software no additional software needed, these cards require the same Avid HD interfaces as the HD Native card, and is not compatible with USB or FireWire interfaces. These cards handle the high speed in and out transfer for no noticable latency like the HD Native card, but they also handle the amount of tracks you have in your session, and also handle plugin DSP processing, so there is no power taken from your computers processor. You get a much higher track and plugin count at high sample rates with no noticable latency, very powerful. But to get your foot in the door with this you have to buy the starter packages they offer, one Pcie card (which I forgot to mention is full length) the full HD software, and your choice of one of the 5 HD interfaces. There is a lot to explain there as well so I won't get into that. But starting at 10,000 is a big commitment. Hope this helped.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:25 AM

Thanks fooks, 9. (Interesting name. Did you take it from the character in John Carpenter's "The Thing"? Now to my comment on your post. That was more useful and informative than any other post I've come across on the duc as far as defining the difference in pro vs. ametuer equipment! You see, I'm just a guy who loves music and, although I've made home recording my hobby, It has turned in to an expensive obsession! I learned by your very informative post that I might as well throw in the towell on ever being able to play with the big boys as for as the cost of the pro classed equipment is concerned! I can only hope that the higher priced hardware, (and software) is less prone to the frequent problems one sees much of here on the duc. I guess it's really true, "You get what you pay for". I assume this is why retail outlets who market Avids products in their catalogs state "Call" rather than state the prices. Here again I recall an old but true saying. "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it"! I'm hopelessly nieve!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:43 AM

Exclamation Re: What is the difference between HD Native & HDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Thanks fooks, 9. (Interesting name. Did you take it from the character in John Carpenter's "The Thing"? Now to my comment on your post. That was more useful and informative than any other post I've come across on the duc as far as defining the difference in pro vs. ametuer equipment! You see, I'm just a guy who loves music and, although I've made home recording my hobby, It has turned in to an expensive obsession! I learned by your very informative post that I might as well throw in the towell on ever being able to play with the big boys as for as the cost of the pro classed equipment is concerned! I can only hope that the higher priced hardware, (and software) is less prone to the frequent problems one sees much of here on the duc. I guess it's really true, "You get what you pay for". I assume this is why retail outlets who market Avids products in their catalogs state "Call" rather than state the prices. Here again I recall an old but true saying. "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it"! I'm hopelessly nieve!
Um not sure were my body got the name, maybe from the thing. But my last name is Fulco, in high school he started the nickname fooks.

Don't be put off by the big numbers and think you won't be able to run with the pro's. Any more the equipment you use depends on what you are doing. If you are a major TRACKING studio, or major mixing studio, hdx is your thing. If you're just tracking with high end outboard gear than HD Native is perfect. If you have a project home studio, tracking just 1 or 2 tracks at a time and mixing 30-60 tracks in your session, an interface like the UAD Apollo with the base copy of pro tools 10 can get you very professional recordings.

Something to consider. Do you mix "in the box" or "out of the box"? Both sound professional, one you will spend a fortune on outboard gear like compressors and eq's, the other you will spend a ton on plugins. Where they both sound professional, they sound a little different (not one better than the other just different) but honestly, even if you had an apogee duet, pro tools 10, and some decent monitors like the Yamaha hs80's (they sound fantastic to me but monitors are very subjective) and some select plugins from waves or mcdsp to name a couple, you could make some recordings that rival the major studio's. It's all in how you use what you have.

One last thing, you can look on eBay and find a ton of used pro tools hd stuff (maybe a generation back) for a significant cost decrease. I know it's not the newest and most powerful system anymore, just don't forget before all the new gear avid has made, the old used stuff made Grammy winning albums. And some places still use the older gear because it still works, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:53 AM

Oh and I forgot, you said that you hope the newer stuff isn't as prone to problems as the older things you see people complaining about. I work in IT, and I can tell you that 95% of the things people complain about is due to "user error" and 100% of those won't admit it, but if they would actually take the time to learn the software and what it can and can not do, they will spend more time making music instead of "bitching posts". That is why you usually don't see professionals on here complaining, they use what they have, the right way and make money doing it.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 AM

Outstanding answers Fooks! What you say is spot on true! I guess I've mistakenly confused the fact that, being a competent,(if not good), guitarist/vocalist with being a competent, (if not good), recordist, are quite different! I can't say that I wasn't aware from the start that pros advise do not try to do both! They are definitely two different indeavors and each requires intense concentration and practice (not to mention youth) to become competent. Still the desire to do both does not go away! And I know that there is more to the producer/engineer side of the coin than just being able to afford the big boy toys of the trade. A very famous producer wrote a book with the title "All You Need Is Ears" which is much closer to being true for a career musician than a successful producer/engineer. What I need to do is face the fact that in my case, it's just a hobby. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooks View Post
Boy nobody really reads posts when they come on here, it's amazing you said 3 versions and they only told you about 2 of them. I'm surprised they didn't tell you that you should use what they have because it should be sufficient for everyone.
Real classy post bud. Do you feel big coming on the internet and flaming people? While true that he said he was asking about 3 versions, when I did read the post, he only asked about 2 different versions; HDX and HD Native. Thought maybe the 3 was a typo. Maybe you didn't read the post? Anyway, I listed the basic difference and linked him directly to the Avid site that explains exactly the specific differences. I think OP is capable of doing his own research and who better to get that information from than the manufacturer themselves.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikman View Post
Real classy post bud. Do you feel big coming on the internet and flaming people? While true that he said he was asking about 3 versions, when I did read the post, he only asked about 2 different versions; HDX and HD Native. Thought maybe the 3 was a typo. Maybe you didn't read the post? Anyway, I listed the basic difference and linked him directly to the Avid site that explains exactly the specific differences. I think OP is capable of doing his own research and who better to get that information from than the manufacturer themselves.
No I don't feel big, but sometimes people are newbies to the whole thing, computers, recording, software, hardware, etc. Sometimes it's nice when you ask a question in the DUC, to get a response from somebody that doesn't just shove you off and make you dig thru the pile of garbage and page after page after page of info. Sure it is easy for you to go on the website and find exactly what you are looking for, because....like I said....you know what you are looking for. He is just trying to find somewhere to start. This forum is infamous for having the most arrogant and cold heart'd people of any forum. Instead of giving him a couple words of wisdom and then shoving him on his way, just answer the damn question to the best of your knowledge and help the man out with your knowledge. Help and collaboration is what makes the recording industry "go round" and makes a person more confident about what they are learning.

So again I don't feel big, but don't YOU feel small because you were called out.