Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2019, 10:54 AM

Default Avid Video Engine won't launch/no option in Setup

I'm running PT 2019.10.0 (native) on a 2008 Mac Pro (8 core MacPro3,1 with 20GB memory) and Mac OS 10.11.6. For my audio Playback Engine I use the MoTU PCI-424.

Under Setup->Playback Engine there is no option to select and enable the video engine. If I open a session with a video track (sessions that worked fine with earlier versions of PT), I get stuck with the "Waiting for the Video Engine to launch..." dialog forever, only to eventually get the error message, "Error Launching Video Engine".

I have tried deleting the Preference folder a couple of times, as well as the Avid Video Engine folder (which only seems to have error reports in it anyway). I've even reinstalled PT. Avid support has been no help. Any more ideas?
Old 12-07-2019, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Avid Video Engine won't launch/no option in Setup

Sadly for you, neither your machine more your OS are compatible with 2019.10.

If you want to hurt your head, do a search for "Avid compatibility" and go down the rabbit hole to find that minimum Cheesegrater is a 5,1, minimum OS is 10.12.6.

AFAIK, a 3,1 machine can't be upgraded to 5,1, but a 4,1 can (I've done it!).

I understand that "unsupported" does not equal "doesn't work" necessarily, but I think you've found the boundary.

Sorry to be the bearer.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Avid Video Engine won't launch/no option in Setup

So I'd probably be best off buying a 2012 Mac Pro 12 core "Westmere"? I want to be able to run High Sierra (or Mojave when that's required), but want the computer to last for a while. I know Catalina is another whole ball of wax, but it's probably going to be awhile before all the audio software companies start requiring you to run that.

Meanwhile, has anyone had success running the Avid Video Engine under 10.11.6?? Luckily in my film-scoring work I usually use Digital Performer, so this is not urgent, and I can investigate a little longer.

Thanks-
David