Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-11-2014, 10:49 AM

Default SMPTE Time code in Pro Tools (multi camera live feed + audio sync question)

Hello,

I have been asked by my boss to see if there is a way we can generate a SMPTE time code in Pro Tools that will assist in the editing process? There is an event coming up that will have a multi camera live feed- and while we're only responsible for recording the audio, we need to make sure there is a time code so everything will sync/match up.
Since this is not something we generally do, we arent looking to spend upwards of $2k for the hardware. I was hoping there was a way we could accomplish this without wiping out our earnings for the gig.
Feel free to ask questions if I havent been clear enough, my personal experience with this stuff is minimal.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:48 AM

Default Re: SMPTE Time code in Pro Tools (multi camera live feed + audio sync question)

Just send Timecode from the camera into PT audio track and record it... You can drop audio into video based on TC you recorded. They also make software that will stamp video TC from an audio track. This is similar to the old reel to reel trick of striping TC on the 24th track to sync the automation of a console to the tape playing back. (This will allow you to line them all up, but you need a clock source for true sync)

Or you need a Timepiece like this:

http://vintageking.com/avid-ssd-vsd-...FQqCMgodwm0Asw

Send TC and clock source into it and then record PT by syncing to the incoming timecode and the session will be at the TC time your TC generator is.

Sorry that wasa the trade in agreement page... this is the sync I/O page w no trade in: http://vintageking.com/avid-sync-hd-...FcLtMgodHm4AKg

Last edited by jasonthurley; 11-17-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:57 AM

Default Re: SMPTE Time code in Pro Tools (multi camera live feed + audio sync question)

if you have HD with a Sync HD or I/O yes you can generate SMPTE or you could record a few hours of SMPTE and play it out and feed the cameras

the problem is that most Cameras Ops are pissy about being tethered with a cable and different cameras are better at taking time code

there are wireless distribution TC systems, most decent rental houses have them for rent, and some even have gen. lock options so the cameras are frame accurate
my local options:
http://www.trewaudio.com/
http://www.locationsound.com/

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-11-2014, 09:02 PM

http://www.denecke.com/Support/Docum...%20Ver%202.pdf
You could rent or buy the above link item.

Like the post above said if you are in Los Angeles Locations Sound Corp is a great place to get items for TC. To purchase or rent.

Record an audio track of the TC from the GR-2 and send the TC to the cameras as well. If your have a MoTu interface you can sync your session to the incoming TC and have your session TC match the cameras. I would also record a audio track as well so you can output the TC if you find you need to later on. If you have an HD system with a sync I/O all this would be easy to generate and or sync to external TC.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergsten View Post
Hello,
Feel free to ask questions if I havent been clear enough, my personal experience with this stuff is minimal.
To be honest with you, VIDEO SYNC is WAY more important than timecode. SYNC says "48kHz is 48kHz based on ME". Timecode says "01:30:00:05 is here based on 29.97fps and here's where I am".

Timecode is POSITIONAL ONLY (based on your timeline)
Sync (wordclock) is the MASTER that tells everything else what 1-second is equal to.

If you can only choose one, take SYNC!! SYNC determines that everything runs at the same SPEED and will guarantee that your audio stays in sync with picture once you've lined it up.

You can lock sound to the frame of a drumstick striking a snare to the audio sample, and once it's done, it will STAY LOCKED as long as your audio is LOCK to picture, and the ONLY way to do that is with matching sync.

Ask questions if you must. I've been doing audio post locked to picture since 1985 and know how it works. Timecode doesn't matter... SYNC is your first priority!
Old 11-15-2014, 05:04 AM

^^^^^^Listen to Eric!!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergsten View Post
...Since this is not something we generally do, we arent looking to spend upwards of $2k for the hardware. .....
Hire a mixer who knows what he's doing w/sync and TC on location.
His day rate will be much less than $2k.

I may have some recommendations, where are you located?

kasper
Old 02-02-2018, 12:56 PM

jasonthurley

Can you elaborate on sending timecode into pro tools as an audio track?
Old 03-18-2019, 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=jasonthurley;2202257]Just send Timecode from the camera into PT audio track and record it... You can drop audio into video based on TC you recorded. They also make software that will stamp video TC from an audio track. This is similar to the old reel to reel trick of striping TC on the 24th track to sync the automation of a console to the tape playing back. (This will allow you to line them all up, but you need a clock source for true sync)

When recording into Pro Tools, is there a way to burn/stamp TIMECODE Metadata into the multi-tracks that I'm recording?
Old 04-01-2019, 03:31 PM

Post Re: SMPTE Time code in Pro Tools (multi camera live feed + audio sync question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txm View Post
When recording into Pro Tools, is there a way to burn/stamp TIMECODE Metadata into the multi-tracks that I'm recording?
Pro Tools time stamps every clip recorded online with the original SMPTE time at which audio was recorded. You can recall this original SMPTE time for a clip by clicking the Original Time Stamp button in the Spot dialog.

Online means while locked to time code.