Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2014, 05:36 PM

Default 96k playback impossible!!

Hey guys, i received a project to work on that was recorded in 96k. I had some issues with the playback speed of these tracks being either too far ahead or behind after it was converted to 48k.

First of all, is this possible? Is the conversion affecting the playback speed of these tracks?

Second, I keep getting errors whenever i try to play these tracks at 96k in my session. I can start a session, but whenever i try to listen to the playback i get an error and have to reboot PT. Also, when i open up Superior Drummer, the samples sound HORRIBLE. I am sure it has to do with my buffer size. Although i am not sure what buffer size i should be using. In scarlett mixpro you can only set it by ms not actual size. So i have left it at 1ms and in PT i selected 1024 for the buffer size..... Any ideas?

Rig Info...

Intel i7 3820
8gigs ram 1666hz
Win 7 Ultimate with all latest updates
Scarlett 6i6 interface

if you need more info then that let me know.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 PM

Default Re: 96k playback impossible!!

Not quite sure what's going on for you. What worked fine for me with a 96K CD project(which kept dragging my rig to its knees) was to create a blank session at 48K and then Import Session Data and let PT convert it on import. This worked fine for me with every audio clip in its proper place. As for any possible "loss of quality", the original recording was done so badly, it only got better.

Random thoughts: Does the Scarlett support 96K? Are you running the session from a separate(and approved) hard drive? SD2 samples are all 48K, so running a session at 96K will require(I think) all the samples to be up-converted, which will use double the RAM(someone feel free to correct me if this is not the case) and increase loading time a lot.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Not quite sure what's going on for you. What worked fine for me with a 96K CD project(which kept dragging my rig to its knees) was to create a blank session at 48K and then Import Session Data and let PT convert it on import. This worked fine for me with every audio clip in its proper place. As for any possible "loss of quality", the original recording was done so badly, it only got better.
Yeah that's what i did originally, and it came out fine except the guitar tracks were a little off time, but that could have been the recording engineers fault. I was just curious if upon converting from 96-48 if there is a possibility of any playback speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952
Random thoughts: Does the Scarlett support 96K? Are you running the session from a separate(and approved) hard drive? SD2 samples are all 48K, so running a session at 96K will require(I think) all the samples to be up-converted, which will use double the RAM(someone feel free to correct me if this is not the case) and increase loading time a lot.
I do have the option for 96k in both scarlett mixcontrol and in my device settings in windows. Im using a SSD 128 gig drive for windows and pro tools, everything else goes on a brand new 1 TB WD black caviar 64mb cache. Last night i did get SD2 to work a bit, but the samples were horrible sounding. Ive sent a query into Focusrite to see if they can resolve but i was curious if anyone here had a similar experience.

thanks for the reply!!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 AM

Hi StratasoundStudios,

Could you please let me know your case number that you will have got when you emailed in and I will have a look into this for you.

Many Thanks

Will
Focusrite Support
Old 02-13-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFocusrite View Post
Hi StratasoundStudios,

Could you please let me know your case number that you will have got when you emailed in and I will have a look into this for you.

Many Thanks

Will
Focusrite Support
Hey Will thanks for looking into this. I would have PMed you but i dont have that ability on here just yet.

Case 266582

Email:[email protected]