Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 08-17-2019, 02:45 PM

Default Pro Tools First won't load or start

Hello all.

I've tried everything I can think of the get Pro Tools first to work. I'll download it from the Avid site & open the .exe installer. It appears to install correctly and puts an icon on the desktop but when I click on it or try to open from the menu all I get is the revolving blue circle of despair!

I've uninstalled, cleared cache and tried again to no avail. Sometimes it won't even complete the installation.

It's a Dell PC with Intel I5 3,2 G & 8G of ram, running Win10 and dedicated to recording audio only. When I run the windows troubleshooter, it looks like the version of PTf is for windows 8.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-19-2019, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools First won't load or start

Do you have at least one ASIO audio device in your system?
Typically, the onboard audio device in your computer isn't and will not work with PTF.

Are you an administrator on your system? You may want to uninstall PTF and reboot your system. When it comes back up, right click on the PTF installer and choose Run as administrator.

Lastly, you can try holding down the N key while PTF loads, which should bring up the playback engine dialog; allowing you to choose the audio device for PTF.

Another thing to note is that some audio devices do not like to be shared between Windows and PTF. You should set Windows to not use the audio device you are trying to use for PTF.

Let us know if you get any further.

System Details
Old 08-24-2019, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the reply.

My audio device is an outboard audient ID14 connected via usb. I've tried downloading with and without it connected. The program appears to download correctly and puts an icon on my desktop but when I try to start PTF nothing happens other than the spinning blue circle for about 5-7 seconds. I've tried as the administrator too.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2019, 06:14 PM

Did you install the latest device drivers for the ID-14? What ones exactly? Does it show up in Windows Device Manager? Does it work with other audio applications? Windows system sound? (After checking go back and make sure windows itself and other apps are not set to use that interface.

When starting Pro Tools First hold down the N key and keep it held down until you see the playback engine dialog and then choose the ID14. If there are multiple entries choose one that says it is an ASIO device.

If that does not work, grab a spare drive or partition (SSD preferred) and do a full clean install of Windows 10 and the bare minimum drivers needed and install Pro Tools First on it and test that. Get a real Windows installer download from Microsoft, do not use system recovery disks full of crapware from hardware OEMs).
Old 08-25-2019, 12:13 PM

Thanks Darryl,

The ID14 drivers are all up to date - I use it daily with either Sound Forge or Audacity.

The problem is that PTF won't open after downloading. It doesn't matter if I hold down the 'n' key or try to run it as an administrator - it simply won't open!
Old 08-25-2019, 03:28 PM

Have you downloaded the iLok app and made sure your PT|First version is activated there in the iLok License Manager (ILM).

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-25-2019, 03:55 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishVO View Post
Hello all.

I've tried everything I can think of the get Pro Tools first to work. I'll download it from the Avid site & open the .exe installer. It appears to install correctly and puts an icon on the desktop but when I click on it or try to open from the menu all I get is the revolving blue circle of despair!

I've uninstalled, cleared cache and tried again to no avail. Sometimes it won't even complete the installation.

It's a Dell PC with Intel I5 3,2 G & 8G of ram, running Win10 and dedicated to recording audio only. When I run the windows troubleshooter, it looks like the version of PTf is for windows 8.

Any thoughts?

As Southsidemusic suggested, you might have not activated your license yet.

And upon checking your account, your Pro Tools First license is still not activated on your computer. Please activate your license through the iLok License Manager to start using Pro Tools First.

-Tope
Old 08-30-2019, 11:32 PM

IT LIVES!

Thank you all so much for your help, especially 'Southsidemusic'

I now not only have PTF to explore this weekend but also know a lot more about ilok, It's no longer just what I say before "....my door whenever I leave the house"!

Thanks also to AVID for having a forum where we can share help, information & tips. If I had to do this through today's customer support channels, I would just give up!

I'm so excited about playing with PTF to see if it's what I'm looking for in a DAW.

Thanks again all - I'm sure to be back with a question or two in the future,

Karl