Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2003, 05:51 AM

Default Why the hell is Line6 not releasing an RTAS amp plugin???

Line6 is losing for lack of even participating. AmpliTube is an obvious hit, and POD was there first. And they have AmpFarm on top of that. What are they thinking? They could have released an AmpFarm version for the LE crowd and AmpliTube may never have done as well as it seems to do. I just don't get it. I'm controlling my POD via SoundDiver so I can save presets, but I really would like to be running a plugin instead. I keep waiting, but soon, I think I'll put my POD on eBay and buy AmpliTube. Line 6, wake up, you obviously have great software, make an XT release in software form, sell it for $99 less than the XT hardware, and you'll get yourself tons of buyers...
3X 500GB 7,200 SATA DRIVES
OSX 10.5.7
PTLE 8.0cs3
Old 02-24-2003, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Why the hell is Line6 not releasing an RTAS amp plugin???

The answer was always that native systems weren't fast enough to run their software. That may change as they get faster and faster, but I believe they don't want to put their name on something that doesn't measure up to their standards...

-Duardo
Old 02-24-2003, 08:04 AM

My POD 2.0 went the way of EBay for this reason and I have never missed it. The Amplitube is much more useable for studio work as a plugin IMO. I agree that they kinda missed the boat with this one.

I, for one, would love this kind of head-to-head competition between the two because WE would be the winners.

Eric

Eric
Old 02-24-2003, 08:12 AM

I would love for Line6 to make Amp Farm available in RTAS.

Chuck
Old 02-24-2003, 08:57 AM

Duardo,
I can't imagine a simple $200 red bean like the POD has a processor that is so much more powerful than even 25% of CPU time of a 2GHz P4. It seems to me that Line6 had all the time in the world to build something worthwile for RTAS and they neglected it. But I suppose it may have required a major software overhaul that they didn't think was worth the effort. They really blew it, as 2 years ago, they were the only game in town, and AmpFarm already existed. Now AmpliTube has the upperhand.
OSX 10.5.7
PTLE 8.0cs3
Old 02-24-2003, 06:09 PM

Just bought amplitube and LOVE it.So versatile and I am really digging the tones!!
Its cool to play on a certain tone setting while tracking and then tweeking it after the fact as your mix builds!!!
I live in an apartment and this is the way to go for now my electric work.Tried recording a steve vai legacy half stack in my closet and it was still so loud!!
Now I can track as long as I want and redo take after take without feeling self concious about the insane volume.
Nice presets jason.Any hints about the next version?? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I hope you do a bpm delay in the post delay or at least give us the milliseconds for synced delays to tempo.That would rock!
5150, soldano,.Anyways I finally bought it and I am way happy.My presets arent saving though when I open a tune.I will do a search as I recall seeing this before.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:11 AM

Cudos to the IK folks for proving that something can be written to work in Windows RTAS. You listening, Spectrasonics?
Old 02-25-2003, 04:47 AM

I don´t like the SoundDiver software that comes with the POD, although it is quite versatile. It often gave me probs, especially that scanning function never really worked just as the midi feedback as well ( "POD doesn´t answer" - "Do you like to wait for another half hour futile scanning round?").
And that thing is unstable like written at Steinberg.

Lalaman
Old 02-25-2003, 04:56 AM

Agreed on SoundDiver. I got a new Midiman MIDI USB interface yesterday, and the stupid software scanned every channel of all 8 ports before finding the POD. Took like 30mn, when I could have told it where to find the POD. Lame lame lame. But once it works, it's actually kinda nice to setup libraries, download tons of presets. At the end, I do not believe that any guitar plugin can have better reverbs, delays, chorus, or anyhting better than Waves. So all I'm asking from a guitar box is to provide tons of amp tones, I'll take care of the effects myself. The POD has about 30 truly different amps. How many does AmpliTube have? I loaded the demo yesterday, but got confused, because althoug there are more than 60 amp presets, they correspond to only 5 or 6 real amps, then there's the Tube EQ section. I dunno, it seems powerful, but all I really want is a drop down menu that says "JCM800" or "Plexi45" or "Matchless Chieftain", then I can choose my cabs and go on. I do dislike the AmpliTube user interface, it's Las Vegas style, and these rotary dials are such a pain with a mouse. I'll probably buy it at some point, especially if it works with PT6 and iLok.
OSX 10.5.7
PTLE 8.0cs3
Old 02-25-2003, 08:15 AM

Can't say much 'bout amp farm, but Amplitube's the fa-shizzle..ma-nizzle.....shiznit!!
The knobs on the interface are a pain, but I just hit the flip button on my 002 and...SH-zizzle!!! All control is now on my 002's faders! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]