Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 PM

Default Recommendation Wanted

I've used logic on an apple mac before but I never owned it, what I want to know is, is pro tools easier or harder to use than logic?
Also I'm not great with computer equipment at all, I need to know exactly what I need in order to use pro tools 10 (if that is the latest version).
Also since money is really tight, I'd appreciate if I could get a link to a cheap pro tools software!
I use a windows 7 Toshiba laptop if that makes any difference, thanks!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Recommendation Wanted

Whether or not one Audio Program is harder than another largely depends on ones knowledge of general Audio Engineering principles.

Most programs are designed to enable different kinds of workflows for different applications whether they be for Film, Music Production, Post ect. I find the user interface layouts to be logically similar in many ways.

IMHO the best way to find out what suits your needs is to use a trial version for a month to see if it meets your needs. Having said that, there is good reason why Pro Tools is the Industry standard used by many professionals around the world.

At present Pro Tools is a 32Bit application. Whilst it has been a powerful program for quite some time and still is, a 64Bit version is expected to be released at some point in the not too distant future. A 64Bit version will be a much better performer so you may want to take this into consideration before spending your money on an existing version right now.

The cheapest way to buy Pro Tools is to buy it bundled with hardware. This of course has a higher overall initial outlay of cash, but it's the best way to get most out of your money.

A fair amount of research on Pro Tools computer compatible components is required if you want to have a trouble free system. There is plenty of information on this forum outlining what most of us use. It would be wise to spend the time before buying Pro Tools to do your homework. Many people come here looking for solutions to problems that could have been avoided in the first place had they done some research.

So my advice is to spend some time trying PT, firstly to see if it will run at all on your system and secondly to find out whether or not it suits your needs. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you may or may not need a program that once all peripherals are taken into consideration, can be an expensive option.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 02-24-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Recommendation Wanted

Yes, try the Trial Version first.

http://www.avid.com/Trial/ProTools

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com