Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-03-2011, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Time to check other DAW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
I am exactly on the same boat. But to be honest I am going to give something else a try, at least as a back up plan. I'm setting up bootcamp and I am going to give Samplitude and Sequoia a run for their money (I've seen Sequoia in action and some features are pretty amazing). If it works then hurray! If not then I would slave for a HDX system . But after 10 years of solid Pro Tools loyalty (never gave Logic a chance), a Mix Plus System, and variety of LE rigs, etc, I just don't want to be forced to such costly upgrades anymore! And even more so in this current economic climate. Around here, productions are getting their budgets slashed, and I have to slash my fees to remain competitive. I wouldn't have given that much thought about this if we'd rewind 5 years ago. Back then money where thrown left, right and center! But know, everybody is counting their beans and so am I.
By the looks of your sig...why not just buy another Accel card when they tank even further & carry on with PTHD...maybe up to 10 once they come down with the price.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:32 AM

Man, I can't imagine switching DAWs. You guys act like it's like switching toilet paper brands.

I checked out Pyramix, I own Reaper and Cubase as well as Logic. I just can't get past the "checking them out" phase. I suppose I would get over the hump eventually, but I don't know.

I have no interest in "teaching avid a lesson" in switching. All I care about is my work and PT still works for me. So I will find a way to continue using it I suppose. HD Native looks great, but you HAVE to have a super fast Mac. Still considering the HDX exchange, waiting on solid pricing from my dealer.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmost View Post
By the looks of your sig...why not just buy another Accel card when they tank even further & carry on with PTHD...maybe up to 10 once they come down with the price.
A HD3 is definitely part of the plan to squeeze the most of my current system. Yes, maybe 10HD if they get their price down. But my thinking when I was writing this post was long-term. I can see in two years time where the new Waves bundle is AAX only, no RTAS, no TDM. The thought alone infuriates me!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Man, I can't imagine switching DAWs. You guys act like it's like switching toilet paper brands.

I checked out Pyramix, I own Reaper and Cubase as well as Logic. I just can't get past the "checking them out" phase. I suppose I would get over the hump eventually, but I don't know.

I have no interest in "teaching avid a lesson" in switching. All I care about is my work and PT still works for me. So I will find a way to continue using it I suppose. HD Native looks great, but you HAVE to have a super fast Mac. Still considering the HDX exchange, waiting on solid pricing from my dealer.

I'll agree with this statement.. I've looked at a few things but have not found myself wanting to 'jump ship'... PT is just too comfy..

That doesn't mean I'm 100% happy with it, or Avid. I can work quickly in it and and I'm confident with it..

I am curious about other offerings.. Sequoia is at the top of my list. Might see if I can get a demo and have a play... Though I'm want to move DAW's, I do like options and I've heard some nice things about sequoia.. Though at a $3k move-in price I'm not in any hurry...

Too bad Avid didn't buy Reaper and re-GUI it..
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post

I hear ya...I spent time on Nuendo and spent an even longer time A/B'ing it to death with an 002 & PT/HD2. I really like Nuendo, I even for awhile thought there was something to the claim "it sounds better". I did a bunch of unscientific tests and could never quite nail it down although I do think it sounds good....whether or not there's some voodoo on their mix bus I dunno.

When it comes down to it though my mixes are better in PT, I got a handle on the aux, routing thing and I find recording in & out easier on PT.
I started rethinking Nuendo again recently though & possibly Logic but...
I'm just comfortable on PT. The parent company pisses me off though at times. This might be one of those times.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:21 AM

Sequoia, Reaper, use them regular. Find that alot of the features in PT10 are already in reaper.

Looks like there trying to somewhat emulate the update and upgrade strategey timelines of reaper,,,,but at insane overpriced packages.

Carnies.

Whole lot Carnies.
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
MicroCLock, Pultec, UA, Sebatron, Focusrite, Trident,API, A-Designs, Purple Audio