Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 09-05-2020, 11:46 PM

Default Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Give HDX *at least* the same voice count as a non-HDX interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
There is no HDX software

Either they open CA limits for all CA or keep it as is. HDX hardware I/O is limited by the hardware you have
I meant "Ultimate" of course...what used to be called "HD" even though HD was also hardware.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:33 PM

Default Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Give HDX *at least* the same voice count as a non-HDX interface

It’s a shame they don’t do it. Just replace the cards. Then they could just rebuild those cards at factory and sell as refurbished. How much it would cost them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 09-08-2020, 08:02 AM

Maybe it's to do with a certain revision of the FPGAs on the board? Swapping out BGA chips on an assembled board is not trivial.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:37 AM

We've got an HDX2 system feeding SSL DeltaLink (DigiLink to MADI conversion) feeding our SSL C200 console with 128-IO. It could be because of the DeltaLink, but when I run DigiTest, it says there isn't any firmware on the HDX card. Could this be right, or is it looking for an Avid interface?

BTW, we do have 512 voices on this system, or is the OP meaning there's only 256 on a single HDX?
Old 09-12-2020, 01:39 PM

386 voices native vs. not 256 on HDX
With new firmware this could be 386 per HDX Card giving your system 772 voices instead of 512.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:41 PM

384, but anyway. HDX should have got the voice upgrade in 2019.5 even if it broke some percentage of cards, just IMO
Old 09-13-2020, 06:16 PM

If the HDX cards can't give the same voice count as a NATIVE / THUNDERBOLT interface, then Avid should be either A) replacing cards, or B) sending us all a refund check so we can go buy hardware that actually works.

It's ridiculous right now that I'm having to open sessions with my Apollo because I can't open them on my HDX card / interafaces that cost TEN TIMES what the Apollo twin cost. Who cares about AAX-DSP plugins??! They end up USING MORE VOICES anyways

Just saying.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
384, but anyway. HDX should have got the voice upgrade in 2019.5 even if it broke some percentage of cards, just IMO
Agreed. It's absurd that those with the most expensive Avid hardware get less voices than third party interfaces.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:40 AM

When looking at specs on Avid's site, the info on voices for PT Ultimate has no disclaimer or extra info saying that the number of voices is less when using HDX. This seems deceptive, and I am certain that some people buying HDX were expecting to see these voice counts.

https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison
Old 09-16-2020, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-tone View Post
When looking at specs on Avid's site, the info on voices for PT Ultimate has no disclaimer or extra info saying that the number of voices is less when using HDX. This seems deceptive, and I am certain that some people buying HDX were expecting to see these voice counts.

https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison
Yes, I'm exactly in that boat! Bought HDX to circumvent the ever lasting problems with LLM, only to find out other system capabilities are actually much degraded when compared to HDN, which I was using before. They should really keep up to their promise. Would just be fair.