Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2019, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Reinstatement Promo! Welcomed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
The FAQ says reinstatements don't expire.
Yeah but I don’t think that means indefinitely. Can you hold on to the reinstatement for years later and then activate it and then still have a year of updates and support going forward?

Last edited by zion; 12-02-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
Yeah but I don’t think that means indefinitely. Can you hold on to the reinstatement for years later and then activate it and then still have a year of updates and support going forward?
Would like to know this too. If this is true, that would mean you could buy multiple reinstatements now and then finally be able to upgrade Pro Tools if and only when the updates are meaningful enough for you to do so.

4 reinstatements roughly equals the price of one full perpetual license purchase, which could potentially keep you current with Pro Tools, minus a few non-current years here and there when the updates aren't up to snuff, for the next 10+ years.
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 12-03-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliderman View Post
Would like to know this too. If this is true, that would mean you could buy multiple reinstatements now and then finally be able to upgrade Pro Tools if and only when the updates are meaningful enough for you to do so.

4 reinstatements roughly equals the price of one full perpetual license purchase, which could potentially keep you current with Pro Tools, minus a few non-current years here and there when the updates aren't up to snuff, for the next 10+ years.
It's a good idea in theory - you can do something similar with Cubase which is great, any upgrade works to the latest version whenever you activate it, and they've been consistent on this for many years. The problem with Avid is they move the goalposts for this sort of thing on a monthly basis. Today's "we have no plans" is tomorrow's new policy. I shouldn't be remotely surprised to read of them giving an end-of-life date before too long.

Also, I think the chances of Pro Tools being acquired by someone else in the coming years are fair to middling. They may honour reinstatement vouchers from many years earlier, or they may not.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-03-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
It's a good idea in theory - you can do something similar with Cubase which is great, any upgrade works to the latest version whenever you activate it, and they've been consistent on this for many years. The problem with Avid is they move the goalposts for this sort of thing on a monthly basis. Today's "we have no plans" is tomorrow's new policy. I shouldn't be remotely surprised to read of them giving an end-of-life date before too long.

Also, I think the chances of Pro Tools being acquired by someone else in the coming years are fair to middling. They may honour reinstatement vouchers from many years earlier, or they may not.
Ya it does seem risky. Although if you could get it in writing from Avid, I think you'd have a pretty strong case if they ever changed the rules down the road, or even got rid of perpetual licenses all together, that you could at least get your money back for unused reinstatments.
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 12-03-2019, 04:02 PM

This should explain how many people feel. I assume they are doing this b/c the subscription plan isn’t working and they are not financially sound.

How will they feel if people don’t play the game? Will it bankrupt the company?

None of this is an issue if you have awesome releases. Multiple bug fixes during the year ect

I roll my eyes and sigh, it’s nothing new to people who have been using the software for years but it is quite disappointing for sure.

On a recent flight to Phoenix I met a guy from a very popular 90’s band...and we spent 20 minutes or more talking about and expressing our mutual disgust for Avid and their practices over the last really 5 years.......

Since the 11.32 fiasco probably
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:30 PM

Interesting they give you the option of adding Tony Coleman Drums for $99.99, when it's $49.99 on sonivox's own website, and $19.99 on pluginboutique. lol
Old 12-03-2019, 07:13 PM

I've been off the upgrade and support plan since 12.5 which after testing was uninstalled and I've been making a living with PT10HD happily ever since.
With the up coming EOS of Win7 I'm currently testing Win10 and PT12.5 and with some adjustments (mainly a third monitor) I'm fairly happy, time will tell.
The 64 bit performance is certainly welcome, but I don't use VIs so it's all about track count and plugs.

Talking with others running later versions I get the impression there's no real performance difference so I'm questioning whether upgrading the three perpetual licenses I have is worth it.
I don't need any of the new features in fact first thing to go on PT12 is Cloud Collab and the useless App Manager.
I won't start bad mouthing Avid it's a waste of time. They haven't been listening for a long time anyway. Speak with your wallet? Not interested in the subscription model.
I'm tempted to reinstate before the year is out but not convinced.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Interesting they give you the option of adding Tony Coleman Drums for $99.99, when it's $49.99 on sonivox's own website, and $19.99 on pluginboutique. lol

Hahahahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2019, 05:37 PM

I think it makes sense to have at least 1 reinstatement in the back pocket. Closest approximation to the good ol' days: upgrade when you feel like they're offering a significant enough upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
I'm also skeptical. But right now you can reinstate after practically a decade (PT9), so I can't imagine them reneging in the near future. Would that even be legal? Could they really just say one day, maybe 2026 for argument's sake, "starting July 1, we're no longer honoring reinstatement plans?"

I can definitely see them one day doing away with new perpetual licenses. :/
Old 12-04-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I'm also skeptical. But right now you can reinstate after practically a decade (PT9), so I can't imagine them reneging in the near future. Would that even be legal? Could they really just say one day, maybe 2026 for argument's sake, "starting July 1, we're no longer honoring reinstatement plans?"

I can definitely see them one day doing away with new perpetual licenses. :/
Well according to the FAQ there will be no more reinstatement’s sold after December 31 and when all the remaining supply of the retailers are gone that’s going to be it. Your choices will only be to cross grade to subscription or buy a whole new PT perpetual license at full price. The question is if I buy a reinstatement by December 31st or before they all run out at the retailers, how long can I sit on it before I have to activate it and when I do activate it will the start date begin at the time of activation or at the date it was purchased.