Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2014, 10:33 AM

Default Pro Tools 11 Saving Freezes for 30 seconds

I am not running 11 yet, but I meant the air/in music Vi's - I think xpand and Db33 and midi grand are all cool.

I guess the desktop graphics was just for win7

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Optimizations

For the record
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 Saving Freezes for 30 seconds

All antivirus software fully disabled or better uninstalled? Test with a new empty session, not a copy not from template. Trash prefs. Temp. move aside all third party plugin files and try again. Uninstall the WD virtual CD software and try again.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:22 AM

Yep, Trashed prefs and re-installed 3 times.

How do we submit a bug? I am guessing Avid will do nothing about this since I do not have a support agreement even though I bought the product last week.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:19 AM

Having a support agreement of not likely won't affect anything here, the biggest issue is you have no test case and it is not clear if you have exhausted all troubleshooting steps. Having said that there are past threads in DUC about save issues, some of which may just be plugin related, some not.

Have you carefully removed all third party plugins from the plugin folder? Uninstalling/reinstalling Pro Tools will *not* do this. Don't assume, go and physically move plugin files out of the folder (PT will automagically put back the default ones). Plugins are known to cause problems like this.

Have you tested starting with a new empty session? (To exclude session corruption).

Have you removed all anitvirus software?

Have you removed third party crapware like the virtual CD software you have installed?

Have you tried a new clean Windows install with no AV software and no crapware installed?

If you want to contact Avid support to troubleshoot further you should have a complimentary ASC with your purchase/registration. They will likely want to troubleshoot your issue more before filing a bug report.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:30 AM

I am sorry if I did not make myself clear. Please re-read above.

3 complete re-installations, that includes OS. No third party plugins unless the AIR VI's are counted as so, however they are distributed from Avid.

This occurs with new and existing sessions.

No Crapware
No AV
Computer not on internet besides downloading Avid software.

Went through Pro-tools optimizations
Old 12-17-2014, 09:33 AM

I also found other users having the same issue.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=357514
Old 12-17-2014, 09:52 AM

Your Sandra report shows WDC Virtual CD software installed, that counts as crapware in my book. And have you absolutely made sure you have disabled any floppy devices (in the bios or device manager... Yes even if you have no actual floppy drive). That usually causes other issues not just at save, but worth checking.

And yes I would test by uninstalling all the AIR VI plugins....
Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 AM

No Floppy drive in the bios and there is no floppy port on the board. This issue occurs with a clean installation as well. The software got installed with the external drive. The service is disabled as well as the startup items. CPU useage is around 2%-30% when this occurs. Ram usage is under 30% Disc IO seems fine, especially since it's just saving the session file, which is very small.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:03 AM

Also, I am not sure if I stated this, I am a software developer / consultant by day. I'm not sure why a program that is essentially a driver / native windows functions built on .net would count as "crapware" if that's the case, all PT plugins, drivers, and avid software would also be crapware.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:17 AM

And no floppy drive showing up in the Windows device manager?

Well let's see, as for crapware... be paranoid. I cannot predict what will/is causing a problem, but I can tell you that if you have this software installed you do *not* have a clean Windows install (is the driver still loaded?)

We already know of a nasty bug with Pro Tools 11 that tries looking for anything that _might_ be a CD-ROM and then goes nuts trying to read it if turns out to actually be a empty or non-existent floppy drive. A clean install is a clean install, not one that has weird drivers etc added. It is crapware if you don't need it. You don't need the virtual CD software installed.