Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2011, 08:52 PM

Exclamation Record fader issue

Why does the record fader effect the playback channel on a track. I would think that in terms of the playback being a return and it should not be effected by the record channel. There would be no need for a software monitoring option (requested by users in the past). I should be able to reduce the record fader to -inf and not hear that channel's input but still hear the playback or return channel. Can anyone explain how the ball got drop on this one? If this is a correct function, then explain the ability to separate record and playback faders in preferences?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Record fader

I don't follow. What's a record fader? Each track has a fader that controls that track's output to the mix bus, or whatever bus it's assigned to. If you put an audio track into record and pull its fader down all the way, you shouldn't hear the input. Are you experiencing something different in that regard?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 AM

There is a pref called 'unlink record & playback faders'.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
I don't follow. What's a record fader? Each track has a fader that controls that track's output to the mix bus, or whatever bus it's assigned to. If you put an audio track into record and pull its fader down all the way, you shouldn't hear the input. Are you experiencing something different in that regard?
When a track is armed to record, The fader turns red to indicate the fader is the record or input fader. When not armed, the fader is it's default color indicating playback or return channel fader. Why does the record fader also control the playback volume? It should only change the input volume. My earlier explanation refers to old modular system when return channels were used for playback.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Why does the record fader effect the playback channel on a track. I would think that in terms of the playback being a return and it should not be effected by the record channel. There would be no need for a software monitoring option (requested by users in the past). I should be able to reduce the record fader to -inf and not hear that channel's input but still hear the playback or return channel. Can anyone explain how the ball got drop on this one? If this is a correct function, then explain the ability to separate record and playback faders in preferences?
I use a external mixer and monitor input with the mixer (no latency). I also don't use master faders in protools. I route everything from protools to interface outs.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
There is a pref called 'unlink record & playback faders'.
I have the faders unlnked and the record fader still reduces the playback level.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I have the faders unlnked and the record fader still reduces the playback level.
Because the record fader is not an input gain fader. That function is relegated to your preamp gain knob. The record and playback faders simply allow you to adjust the level for monitoring purposes. This allows you to have two different levels, one for when record enabled and one for when not record enabled.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Because the record fader is not an input gain fader. That function is relegated to your preamp gain knob. The record and playback faders simply allow you to adjust the level for monitoring purposes. This allows you to have two different levels, one for when record enabled and one for when not record enabled.
I am talking about monitoring. My original post explains my problem well. BTW If I null the input gain, what can I record? We are talking PROFESSIONAL recording aren't we? Playback fader for monitoring playback and record fader for monitoring...? Playback?! I guess there would be a need for playback level to be different when I arm the track but in terms of usefulness, those who don't like latency would find more use for the record fader to affect only record monitoring.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I am talking about monitoring. My original post explains my problem well. BTW If I null the input gain, what can I record? We are talking PROFESSIONAL recording aren't we? Playback fader for monitoring playback and record fader for monitoring...? Playback?! I guess there would be a need for playback level to be different when I arm the track but in terms of usefulness, those who don't like latency would find more use for the record fader to affect only record monitoring.
Think of how great it would be to be able to quick punch without hearing the input latency. Not have to mute and unmute the track per each record and playback to avoid it. One would also not have to change buffer settings. I guess having two playback levels (one for when a track is armed and one for when not armed?) is of greater priority?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Think of how great it would be to be able to quick punch without hearing the input latency. Not have to mute and unmute the track per each record and playback to avoid it. One would also not have to change buffer settings. I guess having two playback levels (one for when a track is armed and one for when not armed?) is of greater priority?
I have seen threads of people requesting the software monitoring off option. I don't recall seeing the dual playback monitoring option request thread.