Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2017, 07:25 PM

Default Re: 12.8.3 is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Nothing in the release notes about the access violation errors many of us Windows users have been seeing. Here's hoping the general GUI fixes will cover that as well. Downloading now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
That will be the news I also am waiting for. Keep us posted, and I commend your bravery!
Sorry to report the problem is not fixed. Same access violations when selecting and dragging clips or creating fades with the Smart Tool. Wondering if Avid is even aware of this issue.
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 12-19-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellizzi View Post
So unfortunately I'm still experiencing the same GUI lag I've had on every version of Pro Tools for the last few years on this damn Late 2015 iMac... mostly when scrolling and zooming with R/T. The Timecode counter stops completely as long as I'm hitting R/T to zoom, or scrolling left/right in the edit window.

The only thing that fixes it is to run in Low Resolution mode and live with slighly blurry text on certain UI elements. Then it's snappy and perfect.

12.8.3 did make the playhead and meters much smoother, and I especially notice how editing Clip Gain is much more responsive. However, when rapidly zooming in/out and scrolling through the edit window (pretty much how I navigate my sessions) it's still painfully unresponsive.

So now I'm wondering if updating OS X to High Sierra will do anything for me... I'm still on 10.12.6. Guess I have nothing else to lose really and can always roll back.

If all else fails, I might bite the bullet and get the new iMac Pro. If that's still having this issue I guess I'll just have to accept it.
Can you post your video card model? I wonder if we have the same one.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
Can you post your video card model? I wonder if we have the same one.
AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB -

I know I'm using the 3.2 Ghz i5 (yeah yeah...), but come on. A Mac Mini from 2012 doesn't have this problem, nor does my 13" Macbook with onboard graphics. It has to be a 5k Retina iMac issue, and maybe the i7 models with better cards are just able to brute force the issue away.

The funny thing is, I had a Late 2013 iMac before this one with the same issue, dating back to PT 10 & 11. Again, no solution other than Low Resolution mode. If you really want to dig into this, you can look at my post history where I've tried pretty much everything.

Just upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.2 and still the same thing. Seriously about to pull the trigger on an iMac Pro when they're available in store. It'll be worth every penny if Pro Tools runs flawlessly.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:48 PM

Does anybody who has gui problems the Avid Video Engine enabled. If yes is it better without?
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 12-19-2017, 11:10 PM

I do audio post for video, so I have no choice on that front.

Doubt it would make a difference though. It’s the same in a blank session with no video.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:02 AM

+1111111111111111111:d
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos4 View Post
just installed 12.8.3 and the gui performance is huuuuge!!!!!!
Everything responds sooo fast!!
Thaaaaaanx avid..and keep this that way :d
Old 12-20-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Sorry to report the problem is not fixed. Same access violations when selecting and dragging clips or creating fades with the Smart Tool. Wondering if Avid is even aware of this issue.
*weary sigh*

Thanks for reporting, and yeah I'm wondering too. I'll ask on the Access Violation thread.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-20-2017, 09:44 AM

My two cents.

Installed over 10.12.6 . Trashed everything prefs etc. even plugin prefs. uninstalled previous HD driver then re-installed new driver and then PT 12.8.3 from 12.8.2.
I booted up. and noticed an immediate increase in loading each session. At least that is better. I am off most of the next couple of weeks. Had a bad flu bug, which rarely get, but staring to do some independent work in the studio now.
I will post more when I can. BTw. I don't really use too many of the Avid Plugins so not sure about some of the issues posted here. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 12-20-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Yeah I wonder how much time/resources are spent developing for Mac.

With the constant upgrades and changes going on in the Apple ecosystem.

I also wonder if so much time/resources weren't spent chasing Apple's tail, what kind of Pro Tools product we could have.
I think it goes both ways. How much time/resources are spent on development to hold back new feature to provide century-long backward compatibility.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 12-20-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Yeah I wonder how much time/resources are spent developing for Mac.

With the constant upgrades and changes going on in the Apple ecosystem.

I also wonder if so much time/resources weren't spent chasing Apple's tail, what kind of Pro Tools product we could have.

Probably the kind of product that is still 4 or 5 years behind every other DAW that also has to deal with Apple's progress?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.