Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 03:49 AM

Default Save Session Copy In - Copies Extra Files

I'm working on HD 6.4 cs7 and trying to save off bits of a session so that the whole thing will fit on a few CDs (at the moment the whole thing is 1.3gb) so that I can take it to the mix.
So I've saved the dialogues off on their own and there is nothing except the dialogue audio clips in the region list and certainly nothing except the dialogue in the timeline.
When I go to Save Session Copy In, it's saving other tracks from the whole session (atmos/fx etc) and making it up to 800mb (where it should be less that 400mb)
WHY? and what can I do to get round it? I don't have digitranslator on this machine, but I do have access to it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Save Session Copy In - Copies Extra Files

PT will copy over any file which is used by any region in the bin, whether the region is on a timeline or not. You have to clear unused regions from the bin, Display All, Select all unused, Clear Selected, and Remove (NOT Delete), then you can Save Session Copy In and get just the files you want. (This is from memory, forgive if the wording is slightly different. I use the keyboard shortcuts.)

I usually end up with a session that often does not fit on a single CD. What I do is manually divide the Audio Files folder into smaller folders that will fit. It only takes a couple of minutes. Then at the other end I just manually move those files all back together into the session's Audio Files folder. Do all this before you open the session and PT will have no trouble finding the files.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:49 AM

Quote:
PT will copy over any file which is used by any region in the bin, whether the region is on a timeline or not. You have to clear unused regions from the bin, Display All, Select all unused, Clear Selected, and Remove (NOT Delete), then you can Save Session Copy In and get just the files you want. (This is from memory, forgive if the wording is slightly different. I use the keyboard shortcuts.)

I know this and I've already done it to no avail........
Old 09-07-2004, 10:31 AM

well, if the purpose of save session copy in is to make sure all files the session needs are there, could one not copy everything to a new folder on the HD, and burn it in sections manually? Or, burn to a DVD, or bring an external drive.

OR

you could make new sessions and copy the tracks you want into each, and do the session copy in, and it will only pull those files that are in those timelines.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:38 PM

What you have to do is delete all tracks and playlists you don't want exported... then select all unused and REMOVE them from the session.. then use Save Session Copy In.... You're complaining that the function is working as designed/intended.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 09-08-2004, 02:03 AM

Quote:
What you have to do is delete all tracks and playlists you don't want exported... then select all unused and REMOVE them from the session.. then use Save Session Copy In.... You're complaining that the function is working as designed/intended.

Rail
This is what I have been doing!

Okay so you all think I'm being dim but I'm not sure if you're actually getting my question.

I have nothing in the timeline that I don't need and there is nothing in the regions list that I don't need - I have removed all unused clips from the regions list and scoured the timeline for anything other than dialogue clips. In this case I had previously deleted all my atmos, FX & music tracks and NOTHING of these elements remains in the session as far as I can see.
However, when I go to Save Session Copy In... it copies over the dialogue tracks I want but it ALSO copies atmos/FX & music elements which I don't need AND had removed from the session.

I am going to burn the whole lot onto a DVD so this isn't so much of a problem, but surely this shouldn't happen and it isn't fully working as it is intended if it's copying over excessive files which aren't even in the session any longer.

Apologies if I didn't make myself clear before.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:13 AM

Any hidden tracks/playlists?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:46 AM

What happens when you show file names in the bin? Are the fx/atmos you do not want showing up there? The few times I paid attention enough to discover files that I did not think should have been copied, there was always a reference to them in the bin, especially if I made sure to turn on show auto-created regions.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:53 AM

>>>turn on show auto-created regions.

*smacks forehead with palm of hand* Duh!

Thanks all but Richard gets the prize......

I didn't have 'Display Auto Created Regions' turned on so couldn't see all the extra stuff floating around in the session.

Well, you live and learn eh?
Old 09-08-2004, 09:36 AM

If you'd done as I said.. it wouldn't have mattered.. delete all unwanted tracks and unused playlists.. then select all unused (Command+Shift+U), Remove selected (Command+Shift+B).

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••