Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2019, 12:46 PM

Default Pro Tools and CUDA

I know this may have been talked about on here in the past even though I don't post on here that much so I don't know how much its been talked about. I've been using Pro Tools since version 9 but I always learn on my own because that is the best way to learn. If I have a question trust me somebody already asked it so google is the best friend just for this even though I don't care too much about the company named google.

I'm curious how come Avid does not implement CUDA processing for those of us who uses NVidia GPUs? The studies ALL have shown that GPUs processes Audio faster than any CPU on the market today.

I don't think it wouldn't be too hard to implement, just have a Checkbox to enable CUDA as the Processor...NVIDIA has already given out the details on how to do this so I'm curious why Avid has not stepped up to the plate yet? I know there are some plugins that already uses CUDA to process. The GPU is the best processor for audio, period...I've used some CUDA plugins in the past and let me tell you they made the CPU look wimpy...
Old 03-14-2019, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools and CUDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboman01 View Post
I know this may have been talked about on here in the past even though I don't post on here that much so I don't know how much its been talked about. I've been using Pro Tools since version 9 but I always learn on my own because that is the best way to learn. If I have a question trust me somebody already asked it so google is the best friend just for this even though I don't care too much about the company named google.

I'm curious how come Avid does not implement CUDA processing for those of us who uses NVidia GPUs? The studies ALL have shown that GPUs processes Audio faster than any CPU on the market today.

I don't think it wouldn't be too hard to implement, just have a Checkbox to enable CUDA as the Processor...NVIDIA has already given out the details on how to do this so I'm curious why Avid has not stepped up to the plate yet? I know there are some plugins that already uses CUDA to process. The GPU is the best processor for audio, period...I've used some CUDA plugins in the past and let me tell you they made the CPU look wimpy...

There are definitely some impressive new GPUs hitting the market, like the ever expanding Nvidia Tesla range. I think the Tesla P40 is the equivalent to 140 CPUs, and will set you back about $10,000USD. Like anything, the devil is in the details. While that sounds impressive, it probably doesn't lend itself very well to audio tasks. The P40 was designed for deep learning and big data analysis, which is a highly parallel intensive process. The kind of process that usually uses 140 CPUs in large server farms. A lot of GPUs are being used in AI and driverless car technology for similar reasons.

Audio processing on the other hand is a very much a serial process, and it has a soft-realtime deadline. Even if you have 100 tracks of audio in your session, you need to process them in order. Your in & out kick tracks get processed before your kick sub-group. Your kick sub-group gets processed before your drum bus. Your drum bus gets processed before your master bus, etc. The processing needs to hit the time restraints otherwise you get audio dropouts, and it isn't something you can just throw power at - it needs to be specific power. Video, and specifically gaming on the other hand is more forgiving - with the frame rate changing with the processing load.

Some audio developers have embraced CUDA to a certain degree. Liquidsonics. Acustica. But they are using it for convolution and FFT based processes, which is something that GPUs naturally excel at. I don't think any of the general use off-the-shelf GPUs around today will out-perform the equivalent CPU technology, or the equivalent DSP or FPGA technology for audio processing in the context of an entire mix session. GPUs are good when you need to do the same thing to lots of data. CPUs are good when you need to do a lot of things to the same data.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.