Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2002, 04:43 PM

Default Vocal Production. What are your meathods?

Going beyond the basics of standard vocal productiion: A great mic / Preamp / some reverb or delay... What are some of the cool ways that you produce vocals.

I have heard of triple tracking, but don't know how it sounds or even the right way to do it.
Stuff like that is what I'm interested in.
Carl
Old 02-17-2002, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Vocal Production. What are your meathods?

Lately I'm hating reverb, I like that in your face vocals and reverb just seems to absorb your headroom and make evrything messy, I prefer delays, of course a little verb from time to time ain't that bad.
Old 02-17-2002, 06:17 PM

Get as many different vocal takes going as you can. No effect will reproduce the sound of multiple takes of a vocalist singing. Best kept secret. Opiate For The Masses (you'll hear of them by summer if you haven't already) has up to 20 takes at once going, and it sounds great. Experiment and find what works best for your style.

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 02-17-2002, 06:19 PM

One basic technique is to double track(record same part twice) then pan 1 left and the other right giving you a stereo vocal track.Another is octaves used by people like prince alot.Record one lead vocal low then do the same part again an octave higher this is used in lots of funky stuff.If you want big huge vocals like Queen do four part harmony recorded two times pan one left and the other right.You would probably do that on the chorus.You have to actually record these to make it work you can not just copy a track over and pan it,because that has no subtle differences which are what give you the stereo image.Hope this helps. Stu
Old 02-17-2002, 09:22 PM

Cool stuff! Thanks.
Old 02-17-2002, 09:23 PM

i've been working with a guy thats kind of an inconsistent singer. when i triple his parts (left, right and center) the inconsistencies play off each other and make a really fat sounding vocal. then i'll send all three to a separate aux with a compressor set to really heavy compression. the 4 tracks together are fat and smooth at the same time.