Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2014, 03:31 PM

Default Intermittent Response from Pro Tools 11 - SOLVED

Is anyone else seeing delays or intermittent response in Pro Tools 11? Some examples of when I'm seeing this:

1. Immediately after clicking "OK" or "Cancel" on an open popup window
2. After finishing a Bounce to Disk
3. Immediately after clicking on Record to start recording
4. After closing a project

There are other times as well, but basically every time I do one of these things, there is an extended period of time (like 3-5 full seconds) where Pro Tools just sits there and is not able to receive any mouse or keyboard input. Then it frees up and all is normal.

This isn't happening for me in Pro Tools 10 or any other application on my PC.

I tried a completely uninstall of all versions of Pro Tools and a clean install, but the behavior is still present.

This can be a pretty large nuisance, especially, for example, when trying to record. I'll be ready for a take, hit the record button, and then sit there for 5 seconds before anything happens.

Is anyone else seeing this type of behavior?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by 303Dan; 03-05-2014 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Issue Solved
Old 02-28-2014, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Intermittent Response from Pro Tools 11

Sorry, I should have mentioned:

I'm on Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:57 AM

The same here. Also on Windows 7. It was enough on an issue that I have stopped using 11 until the next update and reverted back to 10 which is working great.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:54 AM

Are you recording to your system drive, or as recommended, a separate 7200rpm drive?
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw88keys View Post
The same here. Also on Windows 7. It was enough on an issue that I have stopped using 11 until the next update and reverted back to 10 which is working great.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing too. I really want to make the transition to 11, but just can't deal with these issues I'm having.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
Are you recording to your system drive, or as recommended, a separate 7200rpm drive?
Yes, I'm recording to a separate physical internal 7200 rpm drive from my system drive.

Dan
Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Dan View Post
Is anyone else seeing delays or intermittent response in Pro Tools 11? Some examples of when I'm seeing this:

1. Immediately after clicking "OK" or "Cancel" on an open popup window
2. After finishing a Bounce to Disk
3. Immediately after clicking on Record to start recording
4. After closing a project

There are other times as well, but basically every time I do one of these things, there is an extended period of time (like 3-5 full seconds) where Pro Tools just sits there and is not able to receive any mouse or keyboard input. Then it frees up and all is normal.

This isn't happening for me in Pro Tools 10 or any other application on my PC.

I tried a completely uninstall of all versions of Pro Tools and a clean install, but the behavior is still present.

This can be a pretty large nuisance, especially, for example, when trying to record. I'll be ready for a take, hit the record button, and then sit there for 5 seconds before anything happens.

Is anyone else seeing this type of behavior?

Thanks,
Dan
Do you have any other processes running that shouldn't be? Do you have your drives set to not sleep? Do you have 'green' drives (they are a no-no)? Have you optimized your system according to Avid recommendations? What's your computer setup/specs? Any of these could be a problem.

QAPLA!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Do you have any other processes running that shouldn't be? Do you have your drives set to not sleep? Do you have 'green' drives (they are a no-no)? Have you optimized your system according to Avid recommendations? What's your computer setup/specs? Any of these could be a problem.
I built this PC myself from scratch to function only as my DAW, so it's pretty clean. Not too many processes running on it at any time other than the bare minimum OS stuff. Really the only two apps running at the same time as Pro Tools are Novation Automap Server and NeyFi (both of which are recent installs that came AFTER I upgraded to Pro Tools 11 and began experiencing these issues). Also, I have already tried having both those processes shut down and the issues in PT11 persist.

Drives are set up not to sleep.

I'm not sitting in front of it right now, so this is somewhat from memory, but here are my system specs:

Core i7-920 2.66 Ghz
6 GB Ram
All internal drives are Western Digital Blacks, 7200rpm
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Pro Tools 11.0.2
Pro Tools 10.3.7

The issue does not seem to be related to processor or disk usage. The issues occur in the most basic projects with minimum tracks and 0 plugins. I rarely work on a project that pushes the system anywhere near it's limits. Usually a fully mixed project is running at 20-30% processor and lower on disk utilization.

I'm not familiar with where Avid has published recommended configuration settings. If you could point me to that, I'd love to take a look.

This is definitely something unique to Pro Tools 11 on this system, though. PT8, PT9 and PT10 have and do all run perfectly fine.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dan
Old 03-04-2014, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Dan View Post
I built this PC myself from scratch to function only as my DAW, so it's pretty clean. Not too many processes running on it at any time other than the bare minimum OS stuff. Really the only two apps running at the same time as Pro Tools are Novation Automap Server and NeyFi (both of which are recent installs that came AFTER I upgraded to Pro Tools 11 and began experiencing these issues). Also, I have already tried having both those processes shut down and the issues in PT11 persist.

Drives are set up not to sleep.

I'm not sitting in front of it right now, so this is somewhat from memory, but here are my system specs:

Core i7-920 2.66 Ghz
6 GB Ram
All internal drives are Western Digital Blacks, 7200rpm
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Pro Tools 11.0.2
Pro Tools 10.3.7

The issue does not seem to be related to processor or disk usage. The issues occur in the most basic projects with minimum tracks and 0 plugins. I rarely work on a project that pushes the system anywhere near it's limits. Usually a fully mixed project is running at 20-30% processor and lower on disk utilization.

I'm not familiar with where Avid has published recommended configuration settings. If you could point me to that, I'd love to take a look.

This is definitely something unique to Pro Tools 11 on this system, though. PT8, PT9 and PT10 have and do all run perfectly fine.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dan
A Sandra report would definitely help.
As far as optimization of your computer here's one from Sweetwater:
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...for-windows-7/
and here's one from audio geekzine:
http://audiogeekzine.com/2010/08/pro...-optimization/

I have one from Avid itself but the page is no longer available.

You may have a plugin going rogue/causing a problem. This can happen even if it's not in a session but still in the used plugins folder. Remove any third party plugins and go from there. Then gradually add some back in and see what happens. Are all your plugins updated to work in aax64 bit?

QAPLA!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
A Sandra report would definitely help.
As far as optimization of your computer here's one from Sweetwater:
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...for-windows-7/
and here's one from audio geekzine:
http://audiogeekzine.com/2010/08/pro...-optimization/

I have one from Avid itself but the page is no longer available.

You may have a plugin going rogue/causing a problem. This can happen even if it's not in a session but still in the used plugins folder. Remove any third party plugins and go from there. Then gradually add some back in and see what happens. Are all your plugins updated to work in aax64 bit?
Thanks for that link. I went through the Sweetwater one and made all the appropriate changes on my system.

I also removed all 3rd party plugins. There weren't many, just the Softube Saturation Knob and Soundtoys Microshift. Both of those were proper 64-bit AAX format.

Unfortunately, no changes. Still seeing the same behavior.

Another example of what I'm seeing that's easy for anyone to duplicate would just be simply creating a new audio track in a project. It can be a completely empty project. When I do that here in Pro Tools 11, there is a full 4 or 5 second delay before Pro Tools does anything at all. In Pro Tools 10, all things equal, the track appears almost immediately.

I'll look into creating that Sandra report if it will help narrow down the cause.

Thanks for your support and interest so far.

Dan