Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:39 PM

Default Re: In Response to Pro Tools HD 10 Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Avid bought Digi back in the 1990's, The consolidation and realignment in 2007 was supposed to tave care of any overlap. I suspect the recent layoffs were just costcutting measures.
Wow. Didn't realize the purchase happened that long ago. Thx for the non-flamed correction.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Avid bought Digi back in the 1990's, The consolidation and realignment in 2007 was supposed to tave care of any overlap. I suspect the recent layoffs were just costcutting measures.
The recent layoffs happened right after the Pro Tools 10 code was finished, documented and delivered to Avid. Coincidence? More like getting rid of all the people they had to hire to make Pro Tools not suck as hard. Now that they have the product to make money with, they can dispose of everyone.

Besides being greedy and smug to their customers, they are probably also a horrible company to work for, with no job security and no opportunities for growth. Once you're done with your project, you're done getting paid.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karljohnson View Post
I bought a new Omni for $3000 (£2000 U.K money) last year and although I can still keep my Omni the upgrade price is the same - thankfully I have an old Blue interface still lying about to trade with - but as an act of good faith to anyone who has bought the new interfaces which are valued and cost more in todays market than any blue series interface you trade in (which someone can swap for a new Omni or 8 i/o) could n't you give thanks to these loyal customers and say if you've got a new interface you can have the HDX package for $1000 dollars less than the offer as is
Talk to your dealer, as there is a card-only cross-grade (no interface). What there isn't is a cross-grade for those that have already purchased the HD|10 upgrade (the software license is included).
Old 10-30-2011, 02:19 PM

also as a thought, let us compare the the increase in power of the apple computers we use everyday from the time that the accel cards first arrived to present day. I would say that the current mac pros are much more then 5 TIMES MORE powerful then the G4s that we used at the arrival of the accel cards. Yet the prices have stayed fairly consistent. So why should we be so excited the new HDX cards are only 5x more powerful then their predecessors.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacidbug View Post
also as a thought, let us compare the the increase in power of the apple computers we use everyday from the time that the accel cards first arrived to present day. I would say that the current mac pros are much more then 5 TIMES MORE powerful then the G4s that we used at the arrival of the accel cards. Yet the prices have stayed fairly consistent. So why should we be so excited the new HDX cards are only 5x more powerful then their predecessors.
Because one card is more powerful than HD3? Because the new cards will fully support a 64bit versin of Pro Tools? Becuase you could add 2 more cards and have all the power of an expanded system without the hassle of a expansion chassis?

Thats three I can think that of stand out.

Now what will be interesting to see is what will the HDX cards offer over HD native when PT11 drops. We wont really know until we see how AAX works natively verses the HDX card. The majority of users may not even need DSP cards at that point.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-30-2011, 02:29 PM

During the past 10 years I've had to upgrade 3 different TDM rigs and 2 LE systems. From a TDM Mix Plus to a HD2 PCIe. Bloody hell! I have been loyal and I've deposited quite a few of my hard-earned cash to Avid (via Digidesign). Currently running Pro Tools 8 HD, and I have three systems in my studio, it's time I call it quits! (Unless something radical to the pricing strategy takes place).

I already purchased Samplitude X and I am willing to give it a try through Bootcamp. If I like it, I am willing to spend a bit more for Sequoia. But no, I am not spending more for AAX and HDx! No more $$$ for a company treating its loyal customers like that. I do appreciate that technology advances but I don't appreciate taking any corporation taking advantage of this loyalty.

If everyone threatens not to buy, what would Avid really do?
Old 10-30-2011, 03:12 PM

I didn't upgrade from HD8 to HD9 because the HD9 version gave us nothing new. The benefits were targeted at non HD. So, now I have to eat 1500 to make it to HD10? Which doesn't even benefit us as much as the native? Again, the HD guys are getting the raw end of the deal.

Wow, wow, wow. Good luck with that.

I think you need to reconsider some kind of better upgrade path for all HD users, those from 8 and 9.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripit View Post
I didn't upgrade from HD8 to HD9 because the HD9 version gave us nothing new. The benefits were targeted at non HD. So, now I have to eat 1500 to make it to HD10? Which doesn't even benefit us as much as the native? Again, the HD guys are getting the raw end of the deal.

Wow, wow, wow. Good luck with that.

I think you need to reconsider some kind of better upgrade path for all HD users, those from 8 and 9.
As i've stated in previous threads, IMHO the whole point that the HD guys have such a bum deal is so that you are pushed on to the HDX platform. Whats the choice here, legacy software/hardware and a redundant dsp based software platform or spend $7999, doesn't sound like you've been given a lot of choice?
Old 10-30-2011, 04:13 PM

Max,

Thanks for responding on-point to so many of the questions. As a software release, I think Pro Tools 10 is *outstanding*. It’s obvious a lot of hard work, planning, and listening to customers needs has produced the best Pro Tools yet.

I do, though, want to address the software license aspect of the HD product line that seems like it’s falling between the cracks, both in terms of official policy, as well as pragmatic upgrade concerns.

The problem is this:

There are owners of PT9 HD licenses that no longer have their HD hardware... they have sold the physical gear, but retained the license. Or, there are others considering selling their aging TDM hardware but keeping the HD license to retain host-based PT+CPTK capability.

For example, many of us work at facilities which may be upgrading to HDX, but for our home/personal systems we cannot justify (and cannot afford) new hardware-based DSP. Until fairly recently many of us HAD to have our own HD systems to remain session and feature compatible with facility systems. But then with PT9 we had a host-based feature-rich version, and we’re grateful for that. PT9 with CPTK (and sometimes not with CPTK) allows us to work anywhere.

But with the new software upgrade policies, what is the owner of an HD license (with no hardware) to do? For example, my business partner and I currently own four HD TDM systems and want to sell our hardware. There is a market for this. We want to retain our HD licenses, use the software, and be able to pay a reasonable price to upgrade it. And our old hardware just won’t keep going, which is why we want to sell it.

In fact, you mentioned (in a response to crashboombam):
"... While Pro Tools HD software sells with our hardware, those that already have a Pro Tools HD license can choose never to update the hardware again or use 3rd party hardware. Yet, we still have to do the software development to support HD hardware, whether you use it or not."

Note your answer to danader11’s question:
"With this support plan option, is it true that you also need a qualifying system, not just a HD9 asset on your iLok, to qualify?"
Your answer was:
"That is correct."

So you have denied us the opportunity to purchase the $599 support contract? We only want to work natively, but now we have been forced to sign up to support HD hardware development by paying 3x the software upgrade price of CPTK owners? I need to pay 3x the upgrade cost for the same feature set? I’ll never be able to get on your subscription-model of upgrades?

With the release of Pro Tools 9, you allowed Pro Tools 9HD license owners to be able to work natively. Sticking us with this $1K upgrade feels like you’re trying to close the barn door after you let the horse out.

So - couldn’t Avid offer a PTHD to PT/CPTK license crossgrade program for the customers who in this economy cannot afford to purchase expensive new Avid hardware?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:10 PM

An excellent point if I may say so. I'm very interested in a reply from Max, not just for your sake or my own.