Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2011, 06:43 PM

Default session freezes and reboots windows

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since my last post!

I have a problem which I have never encountered before. I recently changed my hardrive from Caviar black 3gb/s to a caviar black 6 gb/s because the previous needed to be changed, especially when I started having problems with my latest session (it crashed several times, then it wouldn't open because it didn't match the magic id). After the hd change, all sessions were running great except this last one. I had to import files, retrack some, and finally started rolling again...or so I thought. After opening the session, it freezes after a few minutes (can't move the cursor) and then it makes Windows reboot (I'm using ptle 8 cs2 with windows xp sp3). No matter what I do it will freeze at some random point and reboot. I did notice that some wav files are huge (2 GB).

Seems like something is corrupt. Is there a way to fix this without having to import files again and loose plugin settings, envelopes, etc? Can I fix these huge wav files? I've already tried windows repair, defrag, etc, but like I said, it's only this session which is giving me problems.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM

Default Re: session freezes and reboots windows

Here's 2 things to try. Hold the SHIFT key while opening the session(which will make all plugins inactive0. If that works fine, maybe you have a bad or outdated plugin. The other thing is to consolidate all the audio tracks(even those that are already a single region). This will re-write the audio and might recover a corrupt audio file(and maybe go thru the regions bin and remove all unused regions too).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 AM

Thanks, albee, I will try that today and post my results.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 PM

And don't forget the old 'stand bye',,, may not help in this situation, but, I've learned to trash data bases and prefs before anything else??!!

Any results since this morning?? Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 07-12-2011, 12:38 PM

Unfortunately I had only a couple of hour yesterday to work with my rig, but I did open the session while holding "shift" (plugins were not active) and was able to record for a long time without freezing or crashing. Also, the extremely large files were not being used so I deleted them. All databases and prefs were trashed (as I did always after the reboot).

When some of the the plugs were reactivated, the session froze and windows crashed. I will be trying this again to see which plug is the culprit. I couldn't do it systematically yesterday cause there's a bunch of them on the session and I really want to take time working with the session to make sure I get it right.

I did notice that autotune and eleven lite were some of the plugs left in the session when it froze.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:41 PM

Oh yes, I forgot, I also consolidated the tracks.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:19 AM

Well, here is the status on my dilemma:

The problem persists, no matter what I do. I decided to check with a new session and the problem did occur. It seems that it happens when the CPU meter is high (75%+).

The error signature I'm getting after Windows reboot is BCCode: 9c, etc. I googles the error and it seems it's hardware related. I also checked the event viewer and found a vc80.crt error. I googled it and found various probable solutions (C++, .net framework, quicktime, ram, etc). Will try a few today and a memtest or prime95 test. The funny thing is that this problem ocurred after the new drive installation. All drives are OK when using the manufacturer's diagnostic tool.

Another fact is that the session freezes sometimes a few minutes into the session (1 or 2) sometimes after 5 or more minutes.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 PM

Well, good news, it seems the problem has been finally fixed! I tried various things at the same time, so I don't know which one was the real solution. I installed visual c++ redistributable, .net framework 3.0 and nvidia driver (after uninstalling them). No freeze nor reboots even under heavy loads. Hope it continues this way!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Well, happiness only lasted for a day. The sessions started freezing and rebooting again.

I reinstalled windows XP and all software. Still getting the same problems. I have no idea now of how to fix it.

I'm getting an error code 9c...product 768_1...event id 1003 when the system restarts. I have no idea of how to read the dump files.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Have you tried blowing out the fans, power supply, processor cooling fins, and video card?

Any time I've ever had a shutdown issue it was usually temperature related.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control