Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 04:12 PM

Default pro tools with pc!

hello very new to the pro tools world! so bear with me.
I have been using maudio delta 66 and omni i/o box for some time now with reason live 4 etc.

I am thinking about buying a mbox but people all over tell me i will get sucked into digidesign
and have to empty my pockets for upgrades. people also say that only the hd systems are the industry standard so if im not going to get an hd system than im better off using sonar or cubase for my studio!

i really need alot of feedback as to how far i can go using the mbox with my current pc(below)

Intel p4 @ 3.2 ghz
1 gig of ram
80 gig hard drive
windows xp w/ service pack 2
fast cd burner etc.

sorry guys. but also.....

what makes people think cubase and sonar are really better is it opinion or what...?

p.s. once i have the mbox (if i buy it) how can i hook up my turntables to sample records and other things.do i need to buy a mixer seperate will that hook up to mbox

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
thanks
Old 03-28-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: pro tools with pc!

Get the mbox, it's great. Record at home, and if you need to, bring your session to a studio with any other protools system and they can open it and mix. You need hardware anyway, and the mbox is a good interface. As for upgrading, you have to pay to upgrade any program for a major update (Sonar had paid upgrades 3 times since I owned it! I bought 2, upgraded to 3, left it before buying 4. Protools is much better, especially if you're going be workign with audio.) I used to say the same thing, then had to get protools because a few people told me if I knew PT they had work for me. Since November, when I got my mbox, I have done much more recording than ever and my stuff is sounding better than ever. Hope that helps, I don't work for Digi or anyone else, just sharing my experience.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:00 PM

You need to make sure your motherboard has an approved chipset(see the compatibility page). You definitly want to record to a seperate hard drive from your system (C:) drive as it makes for better performance and easier file "housekeeping". As for your turntables, you will need an RIAA preamp before the Mbox. Plugging the tables directly into the Mbox will sound like crap. Line outs from a DJ mixer would work fine with the right cables(RCA to 1/4").

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-29-2005, 11:43 PM

the only problem i see with ptle is the 32 track limit.

you should also be aware that pro tools does not natively support VST audio or instrument plug-ins. there is, however, a wrapper available for about an hundred bucks.

reason and several other applications such as the NI stuff will work with pro tools via ReWire, which is included.

perhaps you should go into a store for a demo or order the free promo dvd from digidesign. it's fairly crap from an instructional standpoint and the humour, well... but gives a decent overview of the software.

p.s. if you already have reason 2.5 or above and ableton live, you don't need to waste your money on the factory bundle which contains half-baked versions of these two apps.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:26 AM

Just to clarify, the "watered down" versions of Reason and Ableton come with every Protools and Protools LE system from the MBOX to the 002/002R to the HD/Accel. It is not part of the "Factory Bundle" which includes several "Bomb Factory" plugins that cost more. So you'll get Reason Adapted and Abelton Live Digidesign Edition along with some other plugins like T-Racks EQ, Amplitube LE, and SampleTank SE with no extra cost. There is also a free downloadable Digidesign EQ III.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 03-31-2005, 03:02 AM

The only thing I will say in answer to your question is that you should be prepared to deal with a lot of system related tweaking if you go with the Mbox - although some people have been fortunate enough to get this to work for them right off the bat a huge number of people have some type of problem or another. If you don't have the time money or patience your friends have not been steering you in the wrong direction. Regarding pro -tools and having used many other products before I can tell you it is a great tool when working and really straight forward to get going on it - IF YOUR SYSTEM ISN'T ONE OF THOSE made by the devil... If you want to be hassle free, with more tracks and the ability to use VST plugins natively then go with another product. => (there is a product that lets one use VST's in PT but they don't work directly - so that's just another layer...