Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Advice: MIx3 PT 5.1 to PT Upgrade

I'm needing help with the upgrade to PT6 process for a Mix++ system running within OS9.2.2. After doing a DUC Search and consulting Compatibility, I'm left with a few questions concerning my specifics, if you would please...

1) Hardware list:
G4 933 single processor
Mix Core, Farm x2
ADAT Bridge (Lucid 8824 interface x2)
Digi 888
RME Nanosyncs clock
Promax dual VGA card (multiple monitor pairs @ 1024 off VGA splitters)
Motu MIDI Timepiece USB interface (Yamaha S80, Roland XV-5080)

The goal is to operate the above within Panther, yet to be installed on the G4 933 machine. Do I have hope? Will the Promax card work? I'd like to carryover Reverb One and Analog Channel plugs, but don't understand the upgrade process here. Will Waves Platinum Bundle operate in this envorinment? Any chance of getting the latest revision Core Audio Driver to work here?

My apologies for the shot gun discharge of questions. It's scary having such an old system and having been away from the DUC for a while.

Many thanks,

John Caldwell
Old 08-09-2004, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Advice: MIx3 PT 5.1 to PT Upgrade

Quote:
It's scary having such an old system and having been away from the DUC for a while.
Your system is not that old. The computer is only 2 years old, and will certainly run Panther. Heck, the G3/500 I'm using to type this post runs Panther! However, to use Panther with your MIX system, you must wait for the v6.4.1 PT software, which Digi said would be released this summer.

You'll have to check with Promax to see if their card works with OS X.

The MOTU interface will work with OS X.

You'll have to check with the plug-in manufacturer's about compatibility, but I would be shocked if ReverbOne didn't work in OS X. I don't use Platinum, but Gold v4 works in OS X fine. If your farm cards are DSP Farm cards, WAVES makes no guarantee that Platinum v5 works with those cards. If your farm cards are MIX Farm cards, then you should be golden.

Budget at least a day for your upgrade. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2004, 05:40 AM

Thank you, Chief. Do you believe Pro Tools will recognize the Promax video card so long as the card works in OSX? In the past Pro Tools was very particular about dual VGA display video cards. Lastly, what about the Core Audio Driver and Mix system (Core = Farm Card x2)? Can it work?

Thanks for your insights.

John Caldwell
Old 08-10-2004, 06:06 AM

There will be a new Core Audio driver when 6.4.1 is released for MIX systems and that should work great for you. Unfortunately your video card will not work. If you are in need of a new video card for OSX that is supported, I am selling my ATI Radeon 8500 Mac Edition for $125 with shipping. If you want the details, you can just send me an email to the address in my profile. Check out this link for some compatibility info for moving from OS9 to OSX.

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/new.cfm
Old 08-10-2004, 06:18 AM

Thank you Jason. Is the card you offer an AGP card with dual VGA outputs, along the lines of Promax or Appian Jeronimo? Is there reason to believe that your card will operate with the forthcoming PT 6.4.1 within Panther? I do see that the Promax will not work in the Compat section you referenced above.

Thank you.

John-
Old 08-10-2004, 08:13 AM

The Radeon 8500 is an AGP graphics card with dual VGA outs. I used the card in Panther with a MixPlus system running PT 6.2.3 so it should work great with the new version also. I am selling it because I am moving up to a G5 really soon.