Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 PM

Default Free Upgrade To PT11 Through Authorized Resellers

To confirm, if I buy a new download copy from any authorized Avid reseller today, to upgrade my PT9 to PT10, will I qualify for the PT11 upgrade?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Free Upgrade To PT11 Through Authorized Resellers

"Pro Tools 11 is coming soon…
Get a complimentary Pro Tools 11 upgrade (once it’s available) when you buy, upgrade, or crossgrade to Pro Tools 10 on or after April 7, 2013 and register your purchase."
Mac Book Pro Touch Bar 2017 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 - Pro Tools Ultimate - N° 2 HDX - C 24 - Pro Tools 12 HD - N° 02 HD i/o - Focusrite Red 16 Line - N° 2 UAD Apollo 8 Black series - Neve - Focusrite - Avalon - Millennia - Summit - Bricasti - Quested - Meyer - Universal Audio - Waves, Softube, Plugin Alliance, Slate Digital, UAD, etc etc.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 PM

Assuming they're an authorized reseller, I guess it qualifies then. Sweet.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM

Here are several other questions on this subject. I've looked around the Avid site, but I'm not clear on a few things.

I've used non-HD PT since version 6LE. Sweetwater is currently offering an exchange program where you can trade in your 00x toward an Omni and HD|Native PCIe card for $3999. Since TDM will be a thing of the past, I'm tempted to trade in my 003R and take advantage of this, since it's a grand cheaper than the normal HD|Native/Omni bundle.

First: Does anyone know if this would qualify me for the free upgrade to 11?

Second: I really, REALLY, REALLY like my MH ULN-2. Would I be able to connect that to the Omni via S/PDIF to keep using the MH pres?

[Dumb question alert]
Third: Is PT HD different a different software package from the non-HD version?
[/Dumb question]

Finally, how about my MBP? I don't really need HD on that; anything I record with that, I transfer to my Mac to do the work on it. So, referring back to question 3, can I install HD 11 on my MBP, and use it in a non-HD fashion to record?

Thanks for any info anyone can give me.

Gary
Finale 26.3.1
Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomassetti View Post
Here are several other questions on this subject. I've looked around the Avid site, but I'm not clear on a few things.

I've used non-HD PT since version 6LE. Sweetwater is currently offering an exchange program where you can trade in your 00x toward an Omni and HD|Native PCIe card for $3999. Since TDM will be a thing of the past, I'm tempted to trade in my 003R and take advantage of this, since it's a grand cheaper than the normal HD|Native/Omni bundle.

Second: I really, REALLY, REALLY like my MH ULN-2. Would I be able to connect that to the Omni via S/PDIF to keep using the MH pres?

[Dumb question alert]
[/Dumb question]

Finally, how about my MBP? I don't really need HD on that; anything I record with that, I transfer to my Mac to do the work on it. So, referring back to question 3, can I install HD 11 on my MBP, and use it in a non-HD fashion to record?

Gary
First = Yes
Second = Not familer with the MH. If its a standard SPDIF connection I would think yes
Third = Yes, Currently the installers are the same. It's the ilok asset that unlocks the HD features
Fourth = Yes

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
First = Yes
Second = Not familer with the MH. If its a standard SPDIF connection I would think yes
Third = Yes, Currently the installers are the same. It's the ilok asset that unlocks the HD features
Fourth = Yes
Much obliged, Scott.

Now to try to convince my wife to let me buy it…
Finale 26.3.1
Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Much obliged, Scott.

Now to try to convince my wife to let me buy it…
LOL!!! Good One Man

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:

[Dumb question alert]
[/Dumb question]

Gary
Scott has already answered, but let me elaborate as someone who owns HD Native, and has done trade-in offers in the past:

When you do the trade in, the package you're getting is exactly the same as if you bought one new off the shelf. You're just getting a discount on it, and will need to send in your 003 (they pay for that, by the way!).

So you will have an HD software activation code in the box that you register just like anyone else. That will get you the license for HD11 and HD10, and the installers for those will be placed in your Avid account to download.

As for the ULN2, you absolutely can use that via Spidf or AES.

As for the other questions, when you install and use HD11 (or HD10) on your computers (laptop or otherwise), you will have all the extra software features (higher track count, surround tracks, etc.) regardless of whether you're using HD Native, or a consumer 3rd party interface, or the built in Mac output, or whatever. It will function as if you had a Complete Toolkit.

Depending on what computer's your using, you might want to consider getting the Thunderbolt HD Native version, as it's the same price (both for new and for trade-in offer), and you might find it more flexible to have if you're switching around computers.

On the other hand, if you prefer the PCIe card version, you can always later on get a PCIe to Thunderbolt chassis and use it the same way.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
LOL!!! Good One Man
My God, man, do you think I'm joking??? Convincing my wife will be a lot more difficult than switching to HD|Native!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
A lot of really helpful information…
Thanks for all of that. I'm already having an e-conversation with my sales guy at Sweetwater.

Unfortunately, neither my Mac or MBP has Thunderbolt; I think that came out literally months after I bought them in late 2010. No worries, though; both have great SSDs that I got from OWC. (The boot drive in the Mac is actually a Mercury Accelsior PCIe card.) They're so fast I can't even stand booting to a normal 7200 RPM drive any more!

Anyway, I don't really need to worry about HD on the MBP anyway, since what I normally do is record live classical music. I use 6 or 8 mics which go into my Precision 8, and that in turn goes into an MH LIO-8 converter which connects up to the laptop via FW. My Glyph drive is connected up via eSATA using an Express Card, and this has proved to be a very solid, reliable system. (I'm more concerned about the switch to ML than any Pro Tools upgrade…)

Thinking out loud, here: This switch will actually cause me to go back to doing what I used to do before PT 9: In those days, my default audio interface was a MOTU 8pre, and of course I had my 003R. My Ensoniq was connected to a passive Coleman line selector, and by default went into the 8pre. If I wanted to use the keyboard in PT, I just switched the routing via the Coleman box.

This time, I'll leave the ULN-2 as the default interface, and switch the keyboard between that and the Omni with the Coleman.

Then I use a PreSonus Central Station to switch between pairs of monitors, so I'll just connect the Omni to the TRS 2 input on that and I should be good to go.

Looking forward to this!

Actually, has Avid issued a release date for PT 11 yet?
Finale 26.3.1
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
My God, man, do you think I'm joking??? Convincing my wife will be a lot more difficult than switching to HD|Native!
I know you're not joking - I have one of those also - I have already dropped the info PT11 is out and the tax return is coming back about the same time - isn't that a unusual coincidence !!!!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.