Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2011, 11:15 AM

Default please recommend an EQ

I have a special sound editing project that needs 2 tools I can envision in my mind, although I'm not sure they actually exist. I'm hoping some of you with more experience can point me to some plugins to fulfill the job.

1. An EQ that will absolutely cut out all frequencies outside of a very specific range, that I set. For example, I may need to monitor 250-300 hz. I neither want to hear, nor see displayed on a spectrograph, any frequencies outside this range. In some cases I will need to filter two or three simultaneous ranges, for example, 250-300 hz and 800-850 hz and maybe 1400-1500 hz. price is not an objective, but sharp sides to the range settings is essential. I do not want any coloring of the remaining frequencies, (ie. warmth) which I realize is what people sometimes pay extra for with high quality EQs. I am well aware of Renovator that can physically remove specific bands. This won't work because I will be streaming hours of data. Plus, Renovator doesn't work on macs, no matter what the company likes to advertise. I know this because i own it.

2. A plugin that lets me compare two sound samples by frequency and/or amplitude parameters that I set. For example, sound sample 1 will remain constant for hours. Sound sample 2 is mostly identical to #1, except for exceedingly subtle variants of amplitude or frequency, which is basically noise. It is this noise that i want to isolate and analyze. That also explains why the best tool I can think of (so far) for this task is DINR noise reduction. In DINR, there is a crucial "audition" parameter, that lets you hear the noise as it is being deleted from the #2 sample. This noise is defined as anything outside sample 1, which was "learned" by DINR by adhering to the amplitude spectrum set via 1024 frequency bands. In my case, I need to capture this "auditioned" difference between sample 1 and sample 2. My doubts about DINR, are based on the fact that it is at least 10 years old. So i am wondering if there is there some newer tool that does this job more completely than DINR. For all you noise editors out there, how does DINR compare with Izotope Rx? Or is there some 3rd or 4th tool I may not even know about?

any advise is much appreciated.