Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-1999, 08:23 PM

Default Requests for SampleCell III

I can only assume, that with recent inquiries from DIGI here, that we'll be seeing some new SampleCell developments.

Couple the inquiries with the Emu card, and Unity DS-1, and SampleCell will have to do something to maintain this corner of the market.

In order to keep me in SC land, I ask for:

1) Split stereo, as stereo, file recognition. (stating the grossly obvious)

2) Edit the Sample IN RAM, IN RAM, IN RAM. (Did I mention IN RAM?)

3) Edit functions should have features like Bias Peak, or bare minimum, like Unity DS-1.

4) Record ability, with recording DIRECT into RAM, or the option of to disk, using WHATEVER hardware is available (PT MIX, AM3, DC30, built-in, everything...). (Yes, into RAM! This works, I've used a Synclavier like this for years, and the fact I can't record directly into SampleCell is agonizing at the very least.) Recording into PT & then opening in SC is not a solution for this, not even with #5 (below) implemented.

4a) The record option should also allow us to record a new sample into an exisiting instrument, as a new key group. (With the low & high note destination selectable by a simple drag/highlight)

5) An option in Pro Tools that allows a launch of selected audio into SampleCell, irregardless of whether it's a complete region or not - and even irregardless of whether they're stereo, if 2 tracks are selected, then they get loaded into SC as a stereo sample, regardless of whether they are from the same split stereo pair! (ANY 2 tracks - makes for interesting manipulation possibilities!)

6) AppleScript support, allowing loading of files, adding of files to existing instrument, loading sounds into specific key groups & velocity zones, assign panning & outputs, etc..

7) When "Drag & Drop" creating an instrument, have a user settable high & low note. (I've only got a 5 octave keyboard here, and the instrument always extends beyond it)

8) Should be able to "drag & drop" files into an existing instrument.

8a) Another "open" command allowing loading a sound into an exisiting instrument, without having to go to the "Sample Map" first.

9) Be able to select sections (keygroups & velocity zones) of an instrument & copy/paste them into another instrument.

10) Be able to globally pitch an entire instrument. Right now "Pitch octave" just screws up the keys so the instrument isn't pitched, the key assignments have just changed, and maybe I want to do something else with my Mod wheel other than assign it to pitch bend to work around this.

Ex. If I have 40 ricco's in an instument & want to pitch them each up an octave, "Pitch octave" should pitch the whole instrument up an octave globally, rather than have the keys play different samples.

11) Easy region creation in the new SC sample editor.

EX. If I have a sound file with 50 riccos in it, I want to make a region for each ricco, and have each region assigned to it's own key, but still have only the one sample loaded. This should be easy to do within SC. In the sample editor, an easy region creator, and a keystroke/menu option to "Make new key group with region" or "Make new key group with selected audio". This keygroup assignment should be user settable to the number of keys (wide) it defaults to, whether it includes the black keys (for us sound designer types), and whether it defaults to creating it higher or lower on the keyboard.

12) A new look (I know it's trivial, but I feel like I'm in Jail looking at the interface now. )

I'm sure there's more but I've got to get back to work......

- David

[This message has been edited by Farmer Dave (edited 02-26-99).]
Old 02-26-1999, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Requests for SampleCell III

Yeah, like he said.
Old 03-02-1999, 09:40 AM

Just a bump to the top.

Digi - can you let me know if you've read this? I'm just trying to confirm that feedback has reached you.

Thanks,

- David
Old 03-02-1999, 01:50 PM
Avid

We got it Dave, thanks for the feedback.

-bm-
Old 03-05-1999, 02:52 AM

Having continued this topic that Dave initiated I then decided that it might make some sense to start a new one with regard specifically to a SC3 for Film & TV comnposers. This is posted as a new topic

[This message has been edited by Richard G M (edited 03-05-99).]
Old 03-05-1999, 01:35 PM

13) more MIDI contollers, not just A & B, but let us dial in more contoller numbers.

- David