Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 04-08-2002, 03:52 AM

Default Re: please explain to me as if i were a child...

If you're looking for a USB midi system have a look at www.jigsaw24.com and www.turnkey.uk.com.

I'm getting a Formac DV Studio soon which does digital video as well as high quality stereo sound, but you need a microphone preamp for that. If you're interested in stereo input or video got to www.formac.com and for the preamp www.monacor.com
Old 04-08-2002, 04:07 AM

Sorry, jigsaw and turnkey are in the uk and as you post your messages in the afternoon and I apparently post mine in the middle of the night I'm guessing you're not in the uk (don't worry, I'm not really on the internet at 3:00am I'm just in a different time zone) I'll have a look and see if turnkey or jigsaw exist in the USA.

For now look at macwarehouse's website you can get some good deals there and they sell just about everything.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:55 AM

cydonia, you can record on pt free but it sounds really bad through the mac input and why buy a usb input device/imic/usb midi device when you can pick up a used or nos toolbox system (soundcard/PTLE) for $200+ and have 24 tracks, pretty good analog i/o, and digital i/o? a child can always get money from parental units.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:35 PM

wow, you guys have been so helpful! Thanks! I'm sure i'll be back here with some more questions....
Old 04-09-2002, 12:35 AM

Cydonia, don't trash the four-track too soon! It can be pretty helpful for computer-based recording, too. As a man who has to live on the cheap side when it comes to music, here's a suggested setup for you:

For analog input (guitars, microphones, not MIDI):
- Get PTF
- Get an iMic (I hear that they are around $35 US). This will hook into your USB port in the back of your computer. I don't know the quality, but it is inexpensive.
- Get a cable to attach your four-track to the iMic. Why? Since many four-tracks have knobs and sliders for sound adjustment, they tend to be a lot easier to use than software mixers.
- Plug your analog instruments into the mixer and you should be off and running.

Rough Costs:
- iMic $35
- Connector Cable $6.00
- ProTools Free
- Total: $41 investment (if you have the other materials)

Digital Input (MIDI)
- Get PTF
- Get a MIDI Interface. There are many of these on the market today that are for USB and allow you to connect MIDI instruments to your computer. All you really need as a base is 1 MIDI in (one instrument into the computer), or a 1-in/1-out (one instrument into the computer/one machine to make sounds that the computer cant make). Low end costs are around $70.
- Attach your keyboard with a MIDI cable and set up your keyboard as your keyboard manual dictates.

Rough Costs:
- MIDI Interface $70
- MIDI Cable $6.00
- PTF Free
- Total $76.00

Now the fun and frustration starts ... trying to make it all work. The saving grace is that you have a lot of brothers and sisters of the cause here and the DUC. If you have a problem: check the manual, search the DUC, or post a question. Believe me, you'll have a blast
Old 05-06-2002, 09:02 PM

Hey guys, i'm back again. So now i have ptfree installed, for whatever reason i bought an imic. I realized that the imic does the same thing that my computer speakers do, which is fine. So here's my question,

latency.

I want to do stuff real time, like i can with my four track. I have my aux send for my four track hooked into the mic input on the imic and or the speaker mic input. the latency is minor but enough to make me want to stop!

i noticed in the imic faq it said to get a cheap mixer to take care of the latency, but isn't my 4 track a mixer? Am i just using it wrong? Thanks for any responses!
Old 05-06-2002, 10:04 PM

How to deal with latency

1. Open PTF
2. Go to the Finder & select DAE
3. Go to File and select "Hardware buffer". Set it at the lowest setting.
4. Quit PTF then re-open your session.
5. Lower the faders on your record-enabled tracks & monitor what your recording from your 4 track if your recording direct.

The only thing I record direct is bass. When I record guitars/vocals I just leave one ear off my 'phones.

You'll probably have to reset the hardware buffer higher for mixing if you use lots of plug-ins. Your still going to have some latency but it should be bearable. You might have to nudge your tracks into place if it's noticeable on playback.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:49 PM

Or, since you have a mixer:

Listen to the signal you are recording through your 4-tracks, and bring the output of ptfree in the mixer/4-track too. Tihs you way mix the audio from ptfree and from whatever you are recording. And now you dont have any latency...

You do however have the track you recorded a bit too "late" in ptfree. You were recording without latency, but it was still there to bite you in the back [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

What you have to do now, is select the audio with the hand-tool in the edit-window, and move it to the left a little. I cant be any more specific, since the amount that needs to be moved varies from computer till computer because of a lot of things....Just use your ears, and you'll be fine

Bastiaan
Old 05-07-2002, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the help, guys. Hopefully i'll have this thing solved now. I feel like an old granny who just got a mac for the first time, except i work on macs for a living. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] It's funny when you know alot about one area of computers, (graphics for me) but when it comes to this i'm like, "ok, so a microphone goes there? Where does the sound come out?" Thanks again, i'm sure i'll be back here quite soon.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:16 PM

If you need more info on basic recording technique check out http://www.sae.edu/ Go to the reference materials section. Some good stuff in there. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]