Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 12-19-2008, 05:41 AM

Default Buying a used Control 24. Is it still a good idea? Owners or ex-owners please help!

Hi!
I use PT HD and was wondering if it was worth buying a used Control 24 to mix my projects. I think I can get one for a good price and then later I can "upgrade" to a C|24 or an to a D-Command. I would appreciate some words from owners or ex-owners of the Control 24 saying if it is a good idea or not and what to look for in the used unit I am going to buy, such as issues with PSU, scribbles, etc. Is there a way to quickly check all possible issues without connection to Pro Tools? I don't want to find out something wrong only when I get back home!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Buying a used Control 24. Is it still a good idea? Owners or ex-owners please hel

I WOULD buy another Control 24, BUT:

I wouldn't buy another one without being able to test it in Pro Tools for an extended period of time, or at least have a guarantee before purchase that it can be returned with a full refund if need be, for say, at least 14 days.

If you get a good one it's GREAT!

If you get a bad one it's a nightmare.

Keep in mind the new C|24 seems to have issues as well.

I love my Control 24, though I've got about $1500 into repairs on it now.

Seems like my monitor section is still funky though. Periodically

Other than that it's been treating me well, and the eye candy has made me some money with clients who just want to see something.

I hope it hangs in there for another year or two and then I'll be moving to a D-Command at least.

FWIW Scott has been running one for years wihtout issue if I'm not mistaken? Scott?

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 12-19-2008, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Buying a used Control 24. Is it still a good idea? Owners or ex-owners please hel

I have 2 Control 24's (for over 4 years)and they have been great! I replaced the power supplies on each (3 years ago) and they have been working flawlessly since.It's a good control surface. Earn money with them and then upgrade when business is good.

http://www.thedubstage.com/photo4.php
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 AM

Hi Intini-

I bought a brand new Control24 literally one year ago. It was one of the last Control24's made, because at this time last year the C/24 was introduced, and I didn't feel comfortable buying the new version at such a high price increase, and not knowing anything about new bugs . . .

With that being said, I can tell you without hesitation, I am in love with my Control24. The power supply and harness was replaced by DigiDesign before I installed the console. It has been a wonderful piece of gear, and I love it!

Just be diligent in checking the unit in every way possible.

FWIW- I like my Control24 better than the C/24 by a long shot.

Good Luck!

Buel

PS- It would be great if someone had a video tutorial on 'tips & tricks' for this baby . . . lot's of 'hidden' features under the hood.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:44 PM

Thank a lot for all the inputs. I really appreciate.
With regards to checking the unit, it is not so simple, as I believe the dealer must not have a Pro Tools rig installed. I am trying to get a transfer of ownership from him. If he gives me that, then I will consider buying, because I really want to be able to upgrade. I may get a D-Command ES later on next year. But I heard that Digidesign prices in the UK are going to go up by around 25%(!). So I am not sure if I will be able to aford an upgrade soon.
Does anyone have a short-list of things to check when buying my Control 24? Maybe how old it is, if they changed PSU, etc?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:21 AM

Intini-

I just remembered something that might help you with the Control24 decision. Check the Serial Number for the very last letter. Mine is 'K', which as I was told, is the last model manufactured. So, the closer this unit your considering is to the 'K' series, the better-off you'll be. Obviously, 'A' is NOT the model number that you would be safe in considering . . .

Hopefully this helps a little bit with your 'checking-it-out' situation . . .

Best,
Buel
Old 12-22-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intini View Post
Thank a lot for all the inputs. I really appreciate.
With regards to checking the unit, it is not so simple, as I believe the dealer must not have a Pro Tools rig installed. I am trying to get a transfer of ownership from him. If he gives me that, then I will consider buying, because I really want to be able to upgrade. I may get a D-Command ES later on next year. But I heard that Digidesign prices in the UK are going to go up by around 25%(!). So I am not sure if I will be able to aford an upgrade soon.
Does anyone have a short-list of things to check when buying my Control 24? Maybe how old it is, if they changed PSU, etc?
Hi,

As mentioned check the serial number! i think from F onwards the power supply was much better.

Look closely at the scribble strips for any flickering! go to utility mode/test and there's a function to check all scribble strips/lamps/faders etc and the famous vegas mode.

The monitor section is often a problem area, but difficult to check unless its all hooked up to a rig!

If its a later one in good cosmetic condition then its totally recommended.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:44 PM

A few things to add here as I have had our Control 24 apart more times than I care to remember...

Check the frequently used buttons (Save, Undo etc...) they should feel exactly the same as the less used buttons (Function etc) if they are not giving a positive click, they may be on the way out... The broken ones can be fixed if you are out of your warranty & live on cold coffee & solder fumes, but if in doubt send it to a pro Digi repair place who can obtain & fit new buttons...

DON'T buy this unit for the Pre's, Monitoring Section or Line Mixer... This unit is an excellent control surface, but don't let it anywhere near your audio signal path (I am not talking about the new C24 here, I have not used that model & cannot comment) The Pre's are based on the frankly garbage Focusrite Platinum series, the line mixer has always been pretty terrible & the monitoring section is admittedly feature rich & the best of the Control 24's audio functions, but it ages badly and can develop some scary faults that you may not notice until it's too late... And if we are honest here it doesn't get remotely close to a Goldpoint Attenuator or Dangerous Music unit even when new...

The flickering scribble strips can be fixed permanently by hard soldering the loom to the PCB, but again you will kill your warranty & have to de solder if you wish to remove that component (not a major deal)

If you are getting an older unit and wish to use the audio functions, the electrolytic capacitors are not the best & may not of aged well, so be prepared to re-cap any in the audio path, personally I wouldn't bother, you are better putting the money to good quality dedicated Pre's or monitoring controller... Like many, I used to use the Control 24 pre's for talk back, but it's got to noisy for even that now, so they don't get used at all...

Let me state again 'This unit is an excellent control surface' I don't have a downer on it at all, but if you are looking to buy one of these, you should be going into it with your eye's open, and without any real expectations for the audio side... Then if you find a use for the audio features, it will be a pleasant bonus...

I really wish that the would make a Control 24 (or C24)as just a control surface without the other cheap & nasty audio bolt-on's and a price to reflect the components that have been removed... I am sure they wouldn't be able to sell them fast enough... The unit as it is, is at a price point that excludes home hobbyists etc yet the Pre's they load it with suit that market perfectly... It seems insane...

N
Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buel Pace View Post
Buel

PS- It would be great if someone had a video tutorial on 'tips & tricks' for this baby . . . lot's of 'hidden' features under the hood.
We are currently shooting How-To, Tutorial DVD's and the Control 24 is to be the second video we shoot. All HD.

I will post a link on the forum when it is finished. I would expect the Control 24 video by the end of February.

(The first one is going to take some time)

NickH,

I've had mine apart a bazzillion times too. Generally for power supply connections and monitor board. (Power related issues were solved with a DC Wiring Harness). But I'm surprised to hear that your pre's are so noisy you can't even use em for talkback?

They are not great pre's, you're right, and I will not use them for vocals (At least not lead), but they are useful for some things, and I've had some drum sessions come out of those pre's soundin pretty good...... Your pre's must be fried? (I had mine replaced, grounding issues of some sort).

FWIW mine is a H

Intini,

Connections appear to be the single biggest problem with these boards. Internal and external. It seems they corrode fast, and really screw with things when they do. 90% of the time (If not more), problems witht his board can be resolved by cleaning, protecting, reseating, and hot gluing the power connections on the power supply, and the component presenting the issue. This generally resolves the issue for a while. (I haven't had to do this since mine got the DC Wiring harness). Keep some Deoxit on hand, D5 and G5(Gold)??? I think that's what they are now, I can't keep track since they changed from Caig. By the way, you cannot buy the DC wiring harness, it has to be Digi installed as they say it is not a 'user servicable' part because it requires soldering to some PCB's...... I think a flat rate repair is $900 (Plus the $180 shipping from MN to CA)?? They will go thru and test the unit and replace other things as needed..... it's actually a worthwhile investment when you think about it. Something to keep in mind..... if you get oine and you're pulling your hair out, spend the $1100 and buy some peace of mind.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 12-23-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Emcee View Post
NickH,

I've had mine apart a bazzillion times too. Generally for power supply connections and monitor board. (Power related issues were solved with a DC Wiring Harness). But I'm surprised to hear that your pre's are so noisy you can't even use em for talkback?

They are not great pre's, you're right, and I will not use them for vocals (At least not lead), but they are useful for some things, and I've had some drum sessions come out of those pre's soundin pretty good...... Your pre's must be fried? (I had mine replaced, grounding issues of some sort).
Oh, no doubt ours are knackered, they need re-capping for sure, but even when they are 100% I couldn't use any of the Focusrite platinum pre's (we have some external rack units as well for some reason) for anything other than talk back (or a kick that was going to get triggered anyway...) No doubt many people have made wonderful sounding records with them, but they are not for me...