Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2015, 02:34 PM

Default + and questions & wishes

I'm really happy with 2.0, features like spill zones and automation lanes really satisfy my workflow. so +1+1+1 on that!

but some questions / wishes.

(1) a stupid question… my PT 11/12 peak meters are GREEN the peak reduction meters are ORANGE. Why are they BLUE (peak) and GREEN (reduction) on the s6??? Sorry, i don't get that...
I got a monitor next to the s6 showing the PT mixer window most of the time and it confuses me...

(2) i do feature film mixing, and i use a mixed programmed layout of
8 VCAs, 8 to 16 AUX(bus) returns, 8-16 Audio Tracks (important FX/DX/MX tracks)
most of the time to 'watch' my mix and waveforms on the meters(displays)

so … I'd love to mix the the display modes on the display modules from module to module. so using different display modes (big waveform, big meters etc...) would be really great! I want big meters on the AUXs, big waveforms on the AUDIO tracks, big volume lanes on the VCAs...

(3) we all want to use our boutique eq/comp plugins we bought over the time, and see at least some of them on the master module (since the GUIs are so pretty) ...channel strip is not the best...
which are supported?
what about a list?

(4) there are so many knobs and faders on the console...
I use my 90 bucks midi controller the last 10 years with midi/learning and logic pro or similar to ALYWAYS map some sort of control to the surface ALL the time to EXACTLY the rotary I want...
There is NO really free assignable knob on the s6 that won't change when switching layouts or banking...
For example, I'd love moving the noise reduction parameters during the DX mix, and I'd love to have them on the SAME knobs ALL the time without switching/searching... eucon lacked this functionality since 1.0... THIS leads to

(5) fader flip (like with DNS one...) still is some sort of…

(+6) a plus - I managed to change the icons on the auto/master module display. I've got good eyes, but we work very dimmed during mixing, so I did some bigger font-display-icons. pm me and i can send some through.

(+7) had just one s6 hang/crash since 2.0 came out, mixing really 8h a day. +1 on that. stability compared to Artist Mix etc... is plus 200%. Artist Mix caused way to much trouble.

(8) a complicated wish. since I'm mostly mixing (not recording):
when I attention a channel the master module shows the channel and the first square showing in the detailed view is the INPUT SELECTION. I never did - and never will - change that. I'd love to select the parameter that shows first (EQ or DYN in my case) since I'll never change inputs in a mixing session… I'd love to touch(click) to my DX tracks and immediately get my Sends/EQs/ or DYNs (selectable in preferences) focussing…

(9) When I automate some data with the s6 - and I want to "write to all enabled" or similar... so I have to select the region to write to with the mouse?
Isn't it possible to kind of FULLY select the clip I hovering over with the playhead (including fade IN/OUTs) without the mouse?

thats all for my complaints and wishes :)

all in all, thanks for 2.0 - get it a bit more modular (an honest wish for the cash...) and avid gets another satisfied customer again

best kava.

Mac Pro 2019 16-Core, 144GB Ram, OS X 10.15
ProTools Ultimate, 2x HDX
NTP Penta720 I/O + 192 HD I/O + SSL Madi Link
Sync HD, Dolby Atmos RMU
S6 - M40 - 32channel.
Filmpost at cosmix studios vienna
http://www.cosmix.at
http://www.tom-kava.com

Last edited by kava; 08-28-2015 at 05:13 PM.