Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-16-2004, 11:51 PM

Default anyone use digi\'s smack! plug in?

anyone use the digi smack! plug in? wondering how it sounds.
thanks.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Re: anyone use digi\'s smack! plug in?

I've been using it for a little while now. It's pretty dangerous especially on drums. At first I loved it cuz it can give things so much attack, but then I realized it was making things sound fake. For example a snare drum will cease to sound like a drum real quickly. It is useful in the right situation and I am liking it on a drum bus actually, but it's definetely not the compressor for everything. Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:50 PM

I have found it excellent for tracks in need of big, fat, warm, and 'hairy' (ie., analogue-y distortion) compression. Edgy rock vocals, bass, and rock guitars and organs come to mind right off the bat. Also does well 'taking the edge off' (in side-chain mode, especially). In terms of vocal compression, think of it as a warm and fat 1176, especially when pushing it. I currently think very highly of it.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:13 PM

Smack's a good choice if you need to add overdrive and color. You can shape the sound in extreme ways if you want. It's not transparent. There are lots of other plugins for that.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:44 AM

I tested the demo and was really impressed : it is very versatile : quite transparent when you want it, very brutal if needed !
Also it is very simple to set like a 1176, very intuitive

The best idea is something "inspired from" the distressor : a fixed setting high pass eq switch on the detection signal that can really make a difference like on a bass guitar when you don't want the compressor to "ride" on the low frequencies but rather react on attacks.

What I did not like was the "tube" harmonic warming stuff, that I found really crude, with no room left between nothing and "too much"... unless you're into lo-fi...
Mac Pro 2013 & Chassis
Old 01-03-2005, 03:03 AM

anyone interested I am selling my smack plug in sounds cool but do not need it,...

cheers, agradl
emagic_Unitor8_MKII