Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-14-2002, 08:40 PM

Default Native Instruments RTAS for Windows PTLE ?

Has anyone heard it about Protools LE versions of PRO52 or B4 for PC ?
Old 09-14-2002, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Native Instruments RTAS for Windows PTLE ?

I emailed Niative Instuments and asked when they would have RTAS versions for XP, and they said they are working on it and would be several months.

If that was true, then thats means by December/January, we should have them.

They are comming, just hold on! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2002, 09:35 PM

Apparently, from an email I received from them they have developed a DirectConnect version of the Pro52 that will be bundled exclusively with the 002. I assume once it has been formally released it should be then made publically available for us 001 folk too.

However, in the same email they mentioned they are still deciding whether or not to support DirectConnect with their other products.

So my advice, when they do release SOMETHING, is that we should all purchase a copy to show them that there is a big PC/RTAS-DirectConnect market for them to profit from!

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 09-14-2002, 11:09 PM

Just my opinion, but given that a company such as NI can develop RTAS plugs for Mac (and now PC), I dont see why they would bother with DirectConnect. In fact, I'd rather never have to use DC and just hope for more RTAS plugs and instruments. When comparing the two, DC seems like such a pain in the ass.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:38 PM

Hi PK,
certainly RTAS being best practically, but because I already thought it to be comfortable with a standalone version linked through Hubis ( under Win98 )...
Can you explain why DC would be APITA?

Being curious about not layed eggs,
Lalaman
Old 09-15-2002, 05:43 PM

DC will route the audio into protools without the need of an extra audio-card....

Bastiaan
Old 09-15-2002, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaman:
Hi PK,
certainly RTAS being best practically, but because I already thought it to be comfortable with a standalone version linked through Hubis ( under Win98 )...
Can you explain why DC would be APITA?

Being curious about not layed eggs,
Lalaman
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's just my opinion. I've used Hubi's and a second soundcard to use Reason with PT for over a year now, and yes it works fine, but your response unveils the explanation you're looking for, it's certainly more practical, no more than that.

You have a choice between opening the app directly in PT, or open another little app, configure all the routing correctly so that you can use the 2 big apps, which would you prefer?

S'all I'm saying, DC's been available for quite some time, we pushed for compatible 3rd part support and we got s**t. Now, IK (SampleTank) is making RTAS stuff for PC so we're obviously not dealing with quantum physics here.

So to me, the next logical step would be to just skip the DirectConnect BS and move forward with RTAS, if and only if possible. If DC is the best they can do, then that's fine too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2002, 04:41 AM

I understand, thank you very much.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Lalaman
Old 09-17-2002, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pk_hat:
Just my opinion, but given that a company such as NI can develop RTAS plugs for Mac (and now PC), I dont see why they would bother with DirectConnect. In fact, I'd rather never have to use DC and just hope for more RTAS plugs and instruments. When comparing the two, DC seems like such a pain in the ass.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dude ... RTAS doesn't support "instruments" the RTAS protocol is for effects. For virtual instruments they need to use DirectConnect.

Think of it in VST terms:

VST plugins - effects and processors
VSTi plugins - virtual instruments

In ProTools land:

RTAS plugins - effects and processors
DirectConnect enabled plugins - virtual instruments

SampleTank uses direct connect. NI need to support direct connect for the PC to enable their instruments to take MIDI from PT and route audio back to an aux track.

This is how it works in Mac land.

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 09-17-2002, 05:04 PM

[quote]Originally posted by marcusb:
Quote:
Dude ... RTAS doesn't support "instruments" the RTAS protocol is for effects. For virtual instruments they need to use DirectConnect.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In defense of Mr. _hat, I'm going to have to disagree with you here, pal. Please see the following link to Sampletank for details. But the long and short of it is clear...you are in error on this.

A digi rep told me (at the LA DigiWorld) that Directconnect is an interim technology that may likely be replaced completely by the RTAS Instruments interface protocol.