Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2014, 12:06 AM

Default Must we use a mixing console after I/O?

Hi,
I was told we can't directly connect the IO(like 192 IO, omni IO...) to speakers, must thru a mixer... Is this true? Why? I really feel there's no need for me to have a mixer in my room... and How can I connect 192 analogue output to speaker, as the output on the back of 192 are not XLR or TRS...

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2014, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Must we use a mixing console after I/O?

You do not need a console. But, you WANT a convenient way to control your main volume. That can be done on a console, but can also be done with a monitor/source controller. Some options include Samson C-Control(cheap), Mackie Big Knob(better), Presonus Central Station(still better and what I use with my HDN system), Dangerous 2Bus, etc. All of these give you the control you need without a console.

Regarding connections for the 192, first off, WHICH version? Does it have analog outputs on DB25 connectors? Plug in a DB25 to XLR(or TRS) cable and use whichever pair of outputs are selected in your IO setup. For me, my HD IO has 8 analog outs on a DB25 and I have XLR's on the other end of the cable. Outputs 1&2 feed my Central Station and 3&4 feed the headphone amp for my vocal booth.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-27-2014, 10:16 AM

I use this because I just want to always drive my master output at unity and then control the volume on the analog side of things. And I do like the extra features that little box gives me :)
Old 09-27-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
I was told we can't directly connect the IO (like 192 IO, omni IO...) to speakers, must thru a mixer... Is this true? Why?
Back in the day I recall there were bugs that sent full-scale blasts to outputs, which would mean if you connect your speakers directly those nasty spikes can blow your speakers (worst case scenario). Many monitor controllers have some kind of protection against that.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:59 AM

Never, ever connect speaker directly from an interface to speakers with out some form of monitor controller in between.
The controller can be a console or a dedicated monitor box.

A) you want to have a quick and easy to get to Mute button
B) you want a easy way of controlling the volume (use a Master Fader in Pro Tools is unacceptable, that changers you mix not your room volume)
C) better units will have speaker switching (with trim per pair) so you can change between different pairs of speakers and headphones
D) source switching is even better (DAW, CD player, MTR 102, ect.)
E) a Mono Sum button is good to have, a L/R channel swap option is even better
F) if tracking a unit with Cue Talkback

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-27-2014, 01:18 PM

There are many options out there for you to be able to adjust your monitor volumes with anywhere from a $60 option all the way up to several thousand dollars.

I had a friend that recently picked up a used HD system off eBay for very cheap, however he couldn't afford a better monitor/headphone box, so I turnedhim onto this as a TEMPORARY option, temporary because is it not a pure signal path.

However it's fine if that's all he could afford.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/tc-elect...FQQT7AodK2cASg

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-05-2014, 11:33 PM

Thank you guys ! Very helpful!

Why we can never directly connect speakers to I/O interface?
Why must we always have something between the two?

Can we directly connect DIGITAL JBL 432x speakers to 192 Digital I/O, as the DIGITAL speakers 4326/4328 has volume control on it?

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I covered it

Quote:
Can we directly connect DIGITAL JBL 432x speakers to 192 Digital I/O, as the DIGITAL speakers 4326/4328 has volume control on it?
massively inconvenient, you'll find this out the first time you get a feedback loop
you'll be fumbling trying to mute the speakers and probably end up blowing the drivers

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-06-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:

You need a control that you can grab quickly to turn down and/or mute in the event of a feedback loop, loud noise, etc… to protect your hearing and to protect your speakers from destroying themselves.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
I covered it

massively inconvenient, you'll find this out the first time you get a feedback loop
you'll be fumbling trying to mute the speakers and probably end up blowing the drivers
The JBL 4328 monitors has remote controller, also volume control on the speakers. We can use that JBL remote controller to mute/volume control the monitor... I understand for normal monitors it's a must to have a mixer like to control it... how about the occasion with JBL 4328 monitors with remote controller?

Thanks!