Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2003, 06:33 PM

Default FTP tests

Hi,

Is anyone willing to run a few tests that involve uploading and downloading spots, OMF's and quicktime bounces to and from a server?

I need to test:
1) The time it takes to download an OMF of a 60 second spot from a server (that also has quicktime picture file as well).

2) The time it takes to upload a quicktime movie of the mix.

3) The smoothness of the process of placing audio bounces of 90, 60 and 30 second mixes and M&E's of spots as well.

Contact us at [email protected] if you're interested.
Thanks.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:03 PM

Default Re: FTP tests

As I think about it, maybe using Stuffit is the best way to do multiple files to and from a client.

Also does Fetch change the kind of file depending on the format and mode: Automatic, Raw, Text, Mac Binary, etc ...?

Any successful results regarding these issues?
Old 06-29-2003, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SPC:
As I think about it, maybe using Stuffit is the best way to do multiple files to and from a client.

Also does Fetch change the kind of file depending on the format and mode: Automatic, Raw, Text, Mac Binary, etc ...?

Any successful results regarding these issues?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Always stuff or BinHex your files before uploading via Fetch. I've been doing similar tests with my FTP site, and found that Fetch in Automatic does not recognize most audio files types. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Craig
Old 06-29-2003, 11:17 PM

Stuff with StuffIt Delux (right)? And how would on BinHex?
Old 06-30-2003, 11:04 AM

As I gather my info, can anyone confirm this advice with regards to Fetch:

"Files are kept readable 2 ways: 1 is to set the format to MacBinary III
(leave the mode on Automatic), and the second way is keep the format at
Automatic and make sure the file has a file extension on it ( audio01.sd2,
movie.mov ). The second way is safer and windows-friendly.

Stuffit is fine to use, you can stuff anything and post it and it will all
come out on the other end fine. Stuffing files is encouraged, takes up less
space and means less upload and download time".

Is this right?
Old 06-30-2003, 11:34 AM

I never stuff files when uploading with Fetch. Set data type to RAW DATA and send it. When I've had problems it's because with wave or AIFF some peole need .WAV of .AIF extensions added before they're sent.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:01 PM

We've used the Transmit FTP client for months now with no problems. We stuff everything mostly for the decreased file size but have also found that if it is passing thru a windoze server it has a tendency to strip a file of its attributes(.sd2 most notably). If the file is stuffed though there has never been a problem. We have sent everything: sessions,audio,omf's,picture,etc. Here is the link for Transmit-www.panic.com/transmit

We use Stuffit Deluxe fyi also. For Transmit you can download the free version but it has a timeout of 10 or 15mins. so depending on file size you might need to buy. It's very reasonable though. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2003, 11:54 PM

i have a hard time seeing that there is anything easier than fetch. I use it nearly everday to transmit SDII, wav, aif and mp3.

.wav, .aif, and .mp3 in my experience do NOT need to be stuffed.
SDII, however, does need to be stuffed. I used to stuff everything, cause I had some problems, but I realized, you only need to stuff folders, with stuff in them, and pure sdII files.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:59 PM

and to add to what others are saying about stuffing, maybe it's because i have a slower g4 (466), but the decreased file size is usually of very little difference to the original and the extended time it takes to stuff, is definately adds more time than what the extra upload time for the raw is.

I reread your later post, and yeah, if you're doing OMF files and folders, you gotta stuff for the ease and safety.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CLee:
I never stuff files when uploading with Fetch. Set data type to RAW DATA and send it. When I've had problems it's because with wave or AIFF some peole need .WAV of .AIF extensions added before they're sent.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I see. What about when it's an OMF that needs to be sent which has several media files? Wouldn't the best way to send that be Stuffing? Or even with the additional quicktime picture that needs to go with it. I hear that stuffing could be the way to keep it all together in one send and cut down the upload time due to the small size. What do you think?