Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2008, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Intermittent midi sync fault

Hi,

Thanks for the email.

Latest version list as requested.

Tue 16 Dec 2008 09:43:56 EST

Pro Tools Version

Plug-In Versions

BF Essential Clip Remover.dpm

BF Essential Corr.dpm

BF Essential Meter.dpm

BF Essential Noise.dpm

BF Essential Tuner.dpm

Chorus.dpm

Click.dpm

D-Verb.dpm

DigiReWire.dpm

Dither.dpm

Dynamics III.dpm

EQ III.dpm

Elastic Audio.dpm

Flanger.dpm

Funk Logic Masterer.dpm

Invert-Duplicate.dpm

Mod Delay II.dpm

Multi-Tap Delay.dpm

Normalize-Gain.dpm

Ping-Pong Delay.dpm

Reverse-DC Removal.dpm

Signal Generator.dpm

SignalTools.dpm

Structure.dpm

Time Comp-Exp-Pitch Shift.dpm

Time Shift.dpm

TimeAdjuster.dpm

Trim.dpm

Xpand!.dpm

bombfactory BF76.dpm

Plug-Ins Unused Versions

EQ II.dpm

Plug-Ins (Unlicensed)

Toolkits

Toolkits and Digitranslator Versions

Music Production Toolkit is not installed

DV Toolkit 2 is not installed

Digitranslator 2 is not installed

Digitranslator 1 is not installed

Cheers

Nic

P.S.

This behavior seems to come and go. For example when working on a session yesterday morning all was fine. After an hour or so (and a bit of a break from the session), computer still running, the session was doing the afore mention strange behavior.

Is my external drive to blame?????

Cheers Digi

Nic
Old 12-15-2008, 09:36 PM

Hi,

Something I have just noticed..........

I am running my POD X3 through the Fast Track Pro via S/PDIF.
Every time I boot up the system defaults to S/PDIF Input (stereo) UNCHECKED forcing me to go into SYSTEM PREFERENCED > OTHER > M-Audio FAST TRACK PRO.
In the 5 check boxes; OUTPUTS 1 & 2 -CHECKED; OUTPUTS 3 & 4 (S/PDIF ETC) -CHECKED; S/PDIF INPUT -UNCHECKED; BALANCED INPUT 1 -CHECKED; BALANCED INPUT 2 -CHECKED
I have to change this EVERY TIME i want to use the POD X3

However...........
I have noticed that when I leave the S/PDIF INPUT Unchecked the strange behavior is absent and the session plays without faulting. I am still experimenting with this phenomena, but so far seems to be the case.

I cannot find a way to set a master clock on the FAST TRACK PRO.

Is this my problem??

By the way, I have started using the Firewire 800 port on the LaCie d2 Quadra.

Looking forward to some input....

Cheers

Nic
Old 12-16-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440Hz View Post
Hi,

Something I have just noticed..........

I am running my POD X3 through the Fast Track Pro via S/PDIF.
Every time I boot up the system defaults to S/PDIF Input (stereo) UNCHECKED forcing me to go into SYSTEM PREFERENCED > OTHER > M-Audio FAST TRACK PRO.
In the 5 check boxes; OUTPUTS 1 & 2 -CHECKED; OUTPUTS 3 & 4 (S/PDIF ETC) -CHECKED; S/PDIF INPUT -UNCHECKED; BALANCED INPUT 1 -CHECKED; BALANCED INPUT 2 -CHECKED
I have to change this EVERY TIME i want to use the POD X3

However...........
I have noticed that when I leave the S/PDIF INPUT Unchecked the strange behavior is absent and the session plays without faulting. I am still experimenting with this phenomena, but so far seems to be the case.

I cannot find a way to set a master clock on the FAST TRACK PRO.

Is this my problem??

By the way, I have started using the Firewire 800 port on the LaCie d2 Quadra.

Looking forward to some input....

Cheers

Nic
Usually when running another premp into your interface via spdif or adat, you need to set that second device up to match your session specs, ie: bit depth 16 or 24 and sampling rate 44.1, 48, etc. Once that device is setup, you need to go into your M-audio control panel and select external sync via spdif. You sample rate box should turn green and the lock should appear in locked position. You shouldn't have to do anything else in pro tools M-Powered.

Also, there are known issues with running external drives off the 800 port and interfaces off the 400 ports on the imacs and macbook pros. You are better off running both @ 400 speeds. This can be accomplished lots of ways depending on the ports on you HD, but chaining them using the 400 ports is common.

J
Old 12-16-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrummerJ View Post
Usually when running another premp into your interface via spdif or adat, you need to set that second device up to match your session specs, ie: bit depth 16 or 24 and sampling rate 44.1, 48, etc. Once that device is setup, you need to go into your M-audio control panel and select external sync via spdif. You sample rate box should turn green and the lock should appear in locked position. You shouldn't have to do anything else in pro tools M-Powered.

Also, there are known issues with running external drives off the 800 port and interfaces off the 400 ports on the imacs and macbook pros. You are better off running both @ 400 speeds. This can be accomplished lots of ways depending on the ports on you HD, but chaining them using the 400 ports is common.

J
Hi JrummerJ,

Thanks for the input;-)
I do have my X3 set up to match my system specs (otherwise I wouldn't be able to get any input from it.... right?)
On the M Audio control panel (specific to the Fast Track Pro I am assuming) there is no reference to 'sync via s/pdif'.
There is however on the Audio Midi Setup window when looking in 'Properties for: M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Here it is possible to select the input source as S/PDIF.

I am starting to wonder if the Fast Track Pro isn't so PRO after all......

Cheers

Nic
Old 12-16-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Hi JrummerJ,

Thanks for the input;-)
I do have my X3 set up to match my system specs (otherwise I wouldn't be able to get any input from it.... right?)
On the M Audio control panel (specific to the Fast Track Pro I am assuming) there is no reference to 'sync via s/pdif'.
There is however on the Audio Midi Setup window when looking in 'Properties for: M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Here it is possible to select the input source as S/PDIF.

I am starting to wonder if the Fast Track Pro isn't so PRO after all......

Cheers

Nic
So, i use the firewire 410, maybe the control panels are different. But mine has 3 or 4 tabs, input, output, hardware, and About. If you click the hardware tab (if yours has this) then there is a box that shows the sample rate, internal or external sync, etc. Do you have that?

J
Old 12-16-2008, 03:16 PM

From the Fast Track Pro Manual:

Using the Coaxial S/PDIF Inputs

Connect the S/PDIF output of your external audio device to the Fast Track Pro’s rear panel S/PDIF In. The signal level that you receive at
the S/PDIF In will be the signal level that you record. Any adjustments to that signal level must be made at the source. If you have an
output level control on the device that you’ve connected to the Fast Track Pro’s S/PDIF inputs, adjust that output level control to change the
recording level. Most recording software will allow you to add gain to a recorded track that was made at a level that is initially too low,
but be careful that the recording level is not reaching digital clipping (signal over 0dB—going into the red) while recording.
You will then want to route the input signal to your audio software’s inputs. Refer to the section below on “Monitoring Your Inputs For
Recording,” and your software’s documentation for more information.

Setting the Sample Rate
You will want to set the sample rate from within your audio software. When the input source is an S/PDIF signal, the Fast Track Pro will
receive the sample rate from your audio application.

Not sure if that helps at all, but thought I would post it.

J
Old 12-16-2008, 03:42 PM

Cheers JrummerJ,

I think this thing is just too basic......

It has no real control over setting system sync clock or anything like that.
Must be designed for the Garageband kids.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Cheers JrummerJ,

I think this thing is just too basic......

It has no real control over setting system sync clock or anything like that.
Must be designed for the Garageband kids.
Maybe time to jump to the 2626? That is what I plan on doing in the next few months.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:02 PM

To be honest, I'm thinking of getting rid of the M Powered mish mash and going straight for a new 003 Factory Rack.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:52 PM

Hi all,

I have had a reply from M-Audio on this matter.
They seem to think it is most likely a Firmware fault with the Fast Track Pro and are suggesting a replacement.

On further investigation.... every time I try to use the S/PDIF INPUT on the Fast Track Pro my sessions go out of sync.

I am looking forward to putting this to bed and actually getting some WORK DONE!!!!!!