Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-19-2018, 09:14 PM

Default Confounding Midi weirdness, works randomly??

In Pro Tools 11 I am: creating stereo instrument track, inserting Kontakt 5, arming the track to record and... in some projects I can hear the keyboard controller, in others I can't. I am using the exact same procedure in both project files, the hardware isn't changed or touched at all. The problem happens in some projects, not in others.

In both cases, whether or not I can hear the midi when just playing on the keys, it does record, so the midi input aspect is working. I can hear the performance when I play back the recorded track, just not while I am recording it. I have tried to compare the settings and look of the track between the two scenarios and it seems there is an extra control panel at the top of the track in the cases where I can't hear the controller. I have tried every combination there. In the projects where I can automatically hear the keyboard track when armed, oddly, there is no additional input control section at the top of the track. It just works the way it should.

I have a simple work around for the projects I can't hear the controller when recording (just monitor the keyboard in audio as I'm recording) but I hate always having to come up with work arounds in PT and would like to understand what is going on.

I have scoured these forums to get an answer before resorting to posting but I'm just exasperated, thanks to anyone who can spot the problem.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Confounding Midi weirdness, works randomly??

What exact revision of PT11 are you running?
What is your system setup hardware wise? If your profile info is correct it's your computer to blame. There hasn't been a PT version that supports OSX 10.5.x since at least PT8.
If your system is more up to date then what is the routing in your session? Where is the output of the instrument track routed to? Do you have 'use first selected track' in PT preferences?

QAPLA!