Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2010, 06:04 PM

Default Re: "Some regions had invalid bounds and were adjusted or deleted"

+1, gotten this several times now since upgrading to 8.04, so far I think on sessions that were created in 8.04.

Didn't notice anything actually go missing.

But in this case, literally all I did was close the session after working on it, and open it an hour or so later, not a single thing moved, changed, renamed, on my computer during that time (was out to lunch!)

Pretty scary.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:26 PM

On behalf of the native "hobo's" I would like to thank the HD owners for graciously beta testing the 8.0.4 release for us on your own nickel so we don't suffer these problems.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 PM

I'd say you're welcome but unfortunately (as was the case from 8.0.1-8.0.3) my upgrading was a choice that naively hoped would address the previous versions problems. How silly of me to think Access Violations would be fixed by moving up. Now I've got that AND the invalid bounds! maybe 8.0.5 will add random power outages and full system wipes along??

Actually, not to get cynical but maybe instead of fixes they should just list it as "added bugs include:" at least we'd know what we were getting into.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:02 PM

Yeah, it's not as if my system was stable and I decided to gamble! Not a single version of 8 has been stable for me. I keep hoping. Sometimes I pray even. So far, it's usable since 8.03cs2, and 8.04 isn't a whole lot worse, and luckily this bug seems so far (knock on wood) annoying, but since it doesn't actually appear to be dropping anything, relatively harmless...
Old 06-27-2010, 10:40 PM

Yes all the HD sites I know boot into 7.4 by default. It seems the creators of 8 didn't stick around to finish it and what's there now is just treated as a stopgap on the way to the next system. If there is a next system.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
If you look at the full path name - are the audio files in the location where Pro Tools is expecting to see them?

Can anyone provide any more details that may help us narrow down the cause? Were these sessions created in a previous version? Can you reproduce this in a new session? Has anyone actually seen a file go missing, or does the message seem to be a red herring and nothing is actually going wrong?

Any detail you can provide would help us immensely in tracking down the problem.

The main problem with this message/error is that it doesn´t provide ANY information what is actually deleted. Be it a bug or not, PT should at least provide a list or things that it dropped and where in the time-line.

The "some region have been dropped"-massage has been around for years but no matter what the cause is the error-handling of this case needs to be re-worked for more transparancy. Right now it just says that "something" has been dropped "somewhere" and leaves a lot of guessing to the user about what he actually lost from his work. To find lost elements in a post-session with 150 tracks and tenthousands of elements would take days.

IMO it´s bad programming but maybe there is some secret wisdom I´m missing.

Frank.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM

Frank, couldn't agree more! It's such a generic message as to be completely worthless. I always thought whenever I saw it, 'well how am 'I' supposed to know what PT has deleted or removed, what, am I supposed to then start tabbing through my entire session to figure it out?'

Worse yet is getting the message when it didn't actually DO anything, so you panic and start looking, trying to figure out if it actually DID remove something....

This is one of the must frustrating 'features' in PT.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Avid

Hey all,

Truly pained to learn of your woes with 8.0.4 in this regard.

Ideally this message appears when certain "turd regions" (those of invalid bounds or less-than 4 sample length) are detected. Realize with the loads of manners in which auto-created regions can be created: fades, EA-stretched bounds, Region Groups, over/underlaps etc. it is a good thing to cleanse a session of turds. :)
I'm hoping and suspecting this message is now being falsely triggered (versus new screening logic for turd regions) in 8.0.4.

I'm keenly interested in some sessions that exhibit this routinely in 8.0.4 and NOT in previous versions of PT.

Standing by,

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 06-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Avid

Further, I'd be keenly interested if any of you seeing this alert are using control surfaces - or not.

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 06-28-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SessionKat View Post
Further, I'd be keenly interested if any of you seeing this alert are using control surfaces - or not.

-tv
I'm seeing it with a C24