Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 12:03 AM

Default Learning curve w/ C24

I'm starting a new job at a studio w/ a Control 24. I have plenty of PT skills, but have been limited to a mouse (except for some brief experience on Pro Control years ago). Any tips on how to make the best of the situation? The owner knows that I've never used the C24, however i need to make a great first impression during my first, 'trial' week. Any advice is appreciated!
Old 11-17-2004, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Learning curve w/ C24

Try to get your hands on one somewhere for a few hours, The learing curve to get familiar with the 24 is not a hard thing, however you do have to get used to the idiosyncracies of it.

You really just need to get on one for a few hours, make yourself rely on it and not the mouse and you will pick it up quick.

Failing that, just use it as a mixer and continue to do your usual with a keyboard, mouse etc. untill you get comfortable with the 24. Using your keyboard shortcuts should be impressive enough, I have seen somany threads on shortcuts here, and in the right hands they are quick and raise eyebrows. Speed and ease are what makes a pro, that and confidence in knowing about the proceedures.

I still use both, however the mixing is so much faster with the surface, get used to automation as its one of the big advantages of mixing with it.

Good luck, here to help out if you need it,

AJ
Old 11-17-2004, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the thoughtful reply and advice.... I'll let you know howe it goes!
Old 12-17-2004, 02:53 PM

Dop.,

If you're still reading this thread I have a quick question for you because I noticed you were starting work at a studio.

I own a small studio and I'm looking to hire an additional engineer/studio manager to take a majority of the sessions so I can focus more on my record label and producing select artists. If you don't mind me asking, is this a salaried position or do you make a percentage of the sessions, or are there other options?

Thanks!