Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2017, 07:11 AM

Default guitar amps

Im trying to cut down the noise in eleven, it says to turn on bypass, which I have getting a lot of noise, not sure if Im not in the right directions in the help.

trying to research it, but not sure if I know the key word to search it out.

using a guitar trying to work on tone, even when searching for youtube videos, when pro tools is on, the noise is coming through everything.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:41 AM

Default Re: guitar amps

There are so many possible reasons for noise, and so many types of noise, that nobody can offer much help without a lot more detail. Rotate your body and see if you find a position that minimizes noise(if you do find a position, then the noise is likely all around you and the guitar is simply picking up what's in the air). Single-coil pickups are normally noisier than humbuckers. Of course, higher gain amp settings will increase any noise(but in truth, many high-gain presets are actually way over-done and you get bigger guitar sounds with less gain).

Noise can also exist on the AC lines(the outlets) and can come from motors(the fridge, air conditioners, a blow dryer in the the bathroom). Older CRT monitors are noisy, as are many wireless mouse/keyboards. Izotope RX is a good plugin for removing noise in your recordings(something I have to do a lot as commercial buildings in Nashville are pretty notorious for inducing buzzing in guitar and bass tracks).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalqueen2000 View Post
when pro tools is on, the noise is coming through everything.
Most likely a ground loop issue. As Albee said, it's hard to say what could be the cause with so little information and so many different kinds of common 'noise' variables.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 02-19-2017, 11:54 AM

All of the above.

Positioning yourself has a lot to do with it. If your playing single coils you need to be extra aware of that.

Curious what input you are using on your interface.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:44 PM

We can't even tell if you are talking about the Eleven Plugin or Eleven Rack or what. Much more clear information is needed if you want help.

What guitar? What pickups going into what exact input (are you using an external DI). What is the volume knob setting on the guitar and gain setting on the input/DI (if not using an Eleven Rack).

What kind of noise? hiss (white noise)? 60 Hz hum? If not clear post a recoding.

Does the noise change as you touch the guitar strings, move the guitar around? If sn Eleven Rack is the noise there when you play stand alone with the USB cable to the computer physically disconnected.

What amp models are you using and what gain? What is the entire signal flow from physical pickups through external pedals, interface, all plugins, etc. Screenshots of plugins and settings may help.