Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2000, 02:49 PM

Default What is the useful life of a ProControl?

I have a question for ProControl owners.
I'm thinking of buying a basic 8 channel PC for my MIX+ system, but $10K seems expensive.

How did you justify your purchase? Time saved?

What do you expect the useful life of your ProControl? For example, do you expect to be using it in 5 years? 10 years?

Do you think there will be a new system that obsoletes it quickly? (This is a good question for Digi - do you see the PC being viable in 5 years?)

When I look at the other gear I could buy for $10K, I think of things like additional outboard pre amps or effects. If I spent $10K on Avalon or Focusrite outboard gear, I know I would be using it in 20 years....

Thanks,
Dave

Old 01-22-2000, 11:34 PM

Default Re: What is the useful life of a ProControl?

First : I haven't got a ProControl

Second : I tried to find out if it was "a must have", but here's what the conclusion of my search was :

1. PC are great for mixing - but for editing people still reach for the mouse

2. PC will not only give you "hands on" but also give your studio a touch of professionalism if your clients knows the PC, SSLs etc.

My personal conclusion is that PC is too expensive for my business and as I edit 80% of the time (and mix the last 20% of it), it would look great but I wouldn't use it that much.
Old 01-23-2000, 07:36 PM

Default Re: What is the useful life of a ProControl?

I have owned my own post production facility in New York for 6 years. We have always used Pro Tools but the mixing console was a DDA automated board. It was a work horse and did a great job. We just switched over to ProControl and let me tell you.... own facility is much better off. We can do things now with the sound design and mix that we could never do before. It's a great unit. If you think it's pricey... check out the other consoles that do the same thing.