Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-25-2002, 04:07 AM

Default ANYONE HAVE AN OPINION ON THE BEST WORDCLOCK CABLE

I'm really getting into lowering the jitter factor of my PT mix3 system. I have an Apogee psx100 as the clock source but I'm wondering about my Sync Cables and input AES cable. Has anyone done any comparisons between cable manufacturers????? Does anyone have any other suggestions on this topic?
Old 09-25-2002, 06:45 AM

Default Re: ANYONE HAVE AN OPINION ON THE BEST WORDCLOCK CABLE

As far as wordclock cables...APOGEE

Don't be using that Radio Shack _hit! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2002, 08:20 AM

I second the "WideEye" cables!
Old 10-01-2002, 03:20 AM

i actually got some of the wyde eye cables and did hear a difference. especially in the low end. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THOUGHTS.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:32 AM

They all sound different, but if you really want to hear a clocking improvement, get the Aardsync, you're whole system will open up with improved dimension, spaciality and a more natural high end.

The best AES cables I have are homemade from the cores of Belden mediatwist. Many mastering houses use the mediatwist to carry digital around the room but this formula takes it to the next level. I prefer this cable even to Acoustic Zen MC2 ($325 for 1 meter).

If you want to go nuts and make it yourself here is a link for the recipe. I skip the shield and ground wire and just hook up the twisted pair. Click the link for "DIY AES/EBU Cable:"

http://www.venhaus1.com/index.html

Enjoy,

Zep
MajesticMusic.com
Old 10-01-2002, 07:40 AM

Sorry to take this alittle off topic but I have questions about the clock of the 192 I/o and Hd:
I am using my 192's clock, have any of you compared say the ardvark or others to the sound of the 192 with its own clock? Now I know to be careful of the cable if I get an external clock!
thanks
Daniel
Old 10-01-2002, 11:17 AM

Make your cables to length using Canare double shielded 75 ohm coaxial cable and the appropriate Canare BNC connectors, and for AES, use the Canare 110 ohm AES/EBU cable (some VERY nice wire) with Neutrik gold XLRs. (BTW, you might want to research the topic if you decide to hook up multiple interfaces in a parallel configuration rather than serial -- there are some technical issues regarding the first interface in a Digidesign system receiving the Superclock sooner than the other interfaces).

If, in a double blind test, you can hear significant differences between the above Canare cables and some extremely expensive high-end obsessive audiophile product, all I can say is that I wish I had your ears. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Lee Blaske
Old 10-01-2002, 04:14 PM

Have to agree with Lee, there are many great cables that cost just a fraction of the Apogee and higher priced solutions. Canare is great, and there are plenty of Belden solutions out there as well.

Theoretically, you're looking for a Quad Shielded RG-59, but most manufacturers make that cable with a solid core, so it's almost inflexible. Faced with this, I'm about to wire with Belden 8281-F cable, which is double braid shields, and flexible. I'm using Canare plugs and the whole rig should be great. I chose to do double braid instead of foil/braid because of the larger bulk of ground wire, which would cause it to handle interference better.

Many times different situations require different solutions. Just be careful to reduce reflections and terminate properly, and your clock will be clean.

David Bullard
Masque Sound and Recording