Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-25-2009, 01:55 AM

Default Izotope RX workflow

Hey

Wondered if anyone can help. I read a thread a while ago about using the standalone version, and workflow within Pro Tools - but couldnt find it!

Ive been consolidating clips within Pro Tool then dragging the file into Rx. What I hoped it would do is update the file in Pro Tools once Id processed and saved it in RX - it doesnt update, so I have to save a copy and then import the new file. (which is a pain in the ass!). Anyone shed any light on a better way of working Rx and Pro Tools together. (without using Rx as TDM or RTAs but as standalone)?

thanks
Old 11-25-2009, 04:28 AM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Default Re: Izotope RX workflow

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to want to use it as AS?

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 11-25-2009, 05:07 AM

Audio Suite would probably be the best way - rendering to a new playlist
Old 11-25-2009, 05:34 AM

When I tried the method you describe it worked and the audio in the PT did reflect the changes I had saved in RX. If I remember correctly you have to recalculate waveform if you want to SEE the change (or close&open session).
Having tried both ways, I do get along better with using it as AS.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:13 AM

Here is a workflow I developed for myself, maybe it will help.
This workflow is more suited to unsupervised dialog cleanup type sessions because it can be a bit time consuming, especially when closing and re-opening large PT sessions. Also, this only works with mono files as RX will load in dual mono files, but insists on saving them as interleaved for some reason.
1. Create a sub-folder inside your session folder called RX Pre-Process Backups.
2. Identify the parent file(s) you would like to process in the PT region list.
3. Close the Pro Tools session
4. Drag a copy of these files from your Audio Files folder to the RX Pre-Process Backups folder.
5. Open RX standalone and open the files to be processed from the Audio Files folder.
6. Process the files as you wish in RX standalone, then save, but do not Save As.
7. The newly processed file should be in the Audio Files folder, and the un-processed backup of the file should be in the RX Pre-Process Backups folder.
8. Delete the Fade Files from your PT Fade Files folder.
9. Re-open your PT session, select Re-generate missing Fade files without searching.
10. All regions derived from the processed parent file should playback with the correct processing.
11. To see the processing reflected in the waveform overview, select those regions in the timeline or the parent file in the region list and select Recalculate Waveform Overview from the Region List drop-down menu.

Hope this helps. It saves me a lot of time when I have many regions derived from the same parent files. Plus I get to use RXs spectograph when using Hum Removal, which I find very helpful.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:32 AM

Hi Thanks guys -

I want to not use it AS for a number of reasons.
1 (as scott said) you can use spectograph with all plugins using it standalone.
2. Its quicker. I find using audiosuite clunky and slow for previewing stuff.

Felix Rost - Thats weird - the process doesnt work for me - even updating waveforms. Do you literally drag the file from the audio bin into RX and then save when processed? this just doesnt seem to work for some reason for me even with updating waveform.

originalscottyg - thanks for your workflow suggestions, but would be too slow, im working on big film mix sessions

Cheers
Old 11-25-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Here is a workflow I developed for myself,

Plus I get to use RXs spectograph when using Hum Removal, which I find very helpful.
I think that's a great workflow. Will try it out some time :)
Old 11-25-2009, 09:42 AM

When dealing with dialog, I usually just export the region as a file to the desktop (or some folder). Open it in Rx and Save. Then just drag the fixed file back into my Protools session. Might have to copy some automation, redo some fades, but you don't have to close the session. Does require a way to monitor Rx.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayman65 View Post
Felix Rost - Thats weird - the process doesnt work for me - even updating waveforms. Do you literally drag the file from the audio bin into RX and then save when processed? this just doesnt seem to work for some reason for me even with updating waveform.
1. select and consolidate/duplicate the desired audio in PT.
2. open FINDER, locate the audio files folder of your session, sort by modification time, you'll find your consolidated file there.
3. Drag file to RX, fix it, save or close file
4. the region in PT now reflects your changes. recalculate waveform if you need

I just checked that workflow and it works.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayman65 View Post
Ive been consolidating clips within Pro Tool then dragging the file into Rx. What I hoped it would do is update the file in Pro Tools once Id processed and saved it in RX - it doesnt update, so I have to save a copy and then import the new file.
I assume, as I work exactly as you describe, and experience the same problem, it could have something to do with the disk-cache.
- When you close and open the session, after modifying the file in RX, ProTools opens correctly the altered file.
- When you duplicate the file a 2nd time, it reflects the changes, also when you create a fade.
- Although the recalculation of the waveform works visually, the playback still plays the original - which leads me to the assumption it could have something to do with the disk-cache. I switched the disk-cache to the lowest setting, but could not find out till now, when the file no longer plays back from the cache, but is read newly.

Greetings, Matthias