Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 03-11-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Pro Tools not reading input from laptop keyboard

When I insert Reaktor 5 on a Pro Tools M-Powered track the keystrokes from my laptop keyboard aren't being read. The keystrokes produce sound just fine when using Reaktor 5 as a standalone. Here's exactly what I'm doing:

I open a auxilary track in Pro Tools and add Reaktor 5 as an insert. I then open a Midi track and make the output Reaktor 5 channel one (I've tried several channels.) I record enable the Midi track after making sure the volume on the Midi track is on. I hit record and start punching keys but no sound is produced. The sound indicators in Reaktor 5 indicate that there isn't any input going into Reaktor 5 from my keystrokes. Again they do indicate input and my keystrokes produce sound when using Reaktor 5 as a standalone.

I'm running Windows XP Home on a XPC M3 Music laptop. It has a 1.7 Ghz processor, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB HD. My one and only audio interface is the Firewire Audiophile. I don't have any soundcards.

Any help would be appreciated.

Van
Old 03-14-2006, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools not reading input from laptop keyboard

As far as I know ProTools does not support using the computer keyboard as a MIDI keyboard. It doesn't appear on the input list. Software synths in Protools get their MIDI data through Protools so if ProTools does not support the use of a computer keyboard no synth used within it will either unless the plugin directly reads the keyboard when it has the focus.

Ableton Live and Master Tracks Pro both support the computer keyboard. Using MIDI Yoke you may be able to route your MIDI data into ProTools. Sounds a little crazy but I have done crazier.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools not reading input from laptop keyboard

is this a window focus issue? .. what if you click on the reaktor
window (in the banner) after you've started recording? i believe if
the PT window has focus, then it's going to get the key events delivered
to it (that's how commands focus works).

jeff