Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 03-12-2019, 09:11 AM

Default S6 monitor switching with Gefen

This questions is more Mac related than S6 related, but I'm hoping someone on here has run into this and found a solution. I've Googled this to death and no answers.

I just got a Gefen 2x1 DisplayPort KVM Switcher (EXT-DPKVM-24) to switch between two systems via the S6. As it relates to the S6, everything is fine.

The main system uses two screens and the second system only uses one. My problem is when the KVM switches the the main screen to the second system, the main system thinks the screen has been turned off, and makes the seconds screen the main screen with menu bar, and takes all of the Pro Tools windows from both screens and collects them together on that second screen. Then if I switch back with the KVM, it takes all of the Pro Tools and Mac windows and moves them to the main screen, leaving the second one empty.

So, is there a way to tell the Mac that the main screen is still connected? Or a setting to tell the MacOS not to consolidate windows together when a screen is 'turned off'?
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 03-12-2019, 09:59 AM

Default Re: S6 monitor switching with Gefen

A program like SwitchResX might help/work since you can have display sets. It's got a free trial period -- and low cost overall -- so you could give it a shot.
http://www.madrau.com/

You could also, potentially, put an EDID cloner box (usually used for long display monitor connections) on the main system's main screen connection between it and the KVM. Those EDID boxes clone the screen EDID info so that the graphics card talks to it verses the display (which on long runs can take too long for that handshake to happen.) So even with the KVM switched, it would think the screen still exists. I think Gefen and Tripp Lite both make those boxes (in addition to others)
Old 03-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Yes, I've been using SwitchResRX for years. GREAT software. In fact, I emailed the creator, Stephane Madrau, this morning to see if that was the solution, and I just received his response. Unfortunately, he said there wasn't a software-based solution for this issue.

Looks like he has a similar solution to yours. Sounds like a viable solution to me. Thanks!

From Stephane:
"There's a small delay on the switching that leaves the port unattached, and that's enough for macOS to probe the video port and reconfigure itself , even twice. The only solution that I would see would be a hardware dongle put in the video port, that would "simulate" the presence of a display, whatever happens behind it.
I think that Gefen sells such a dongle, they even have some programmable ones reading the EDID of the monitor your want to simulate. You should check for Gefen's catalog for any EDID dongle or monitor simulation dongle."
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 03-13-2019, 02:28 PM

I had exactly the same issues when I combined display switching with workstation switching on my MCPro (+ Gefen 2x1 DPKVM) .
I'm using a small program called "Display Maid' which basically moves your open windows to a pre-programmed arrangement when it senses a change in displays configuration.

Hopefully "Display Maid" is what you'r looking for?
http://www.funk-isoft.com/display-maid.html

Niek/ Amsterdam
MetricHalo ULN8 + 2882 / RME HDSPe MadiFace
Euphonix MC Pro
Old 03-13-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niekbeem View Post
Hopefully "Display Maid" is what you'r looking for?
http://www.funk-isoft.com/display-maid.html

Niek/ Amsterdam
That definitely looks like an interesting program. Although, I could use Pro Tools' window configurations to restore windows to a preset view. But that is usually too slow to wait for. How fast is Display Maid if you have a dozen windows open?

I'm trying to find a hardware solution right now. Gefen doesn't make their EDID Detective for DisplayPort anymore; only DVI. Most companies only see to have DVI or HDMI. One company, Lindy has a passthrough EDID connector designed specifically for this VM issue, but they might not be making it anymore. Can't find one..
https://www.lindy-international.com/...20102&pi=32116

So I'm going to attempt a Y splitter on the MacPro main DisplayPort output. One side will go to the KVM, and the other side with go to a headless display emulator. https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Disp...y&sr=8-1-fkmr2

Hopefully when the KVM switches, the Mac will still think it's connected.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 03-13-2019, 09:50 PM

An active HDMI splitter should do the trick. The Mac will think the splitter is the monitor and will always see it active. The KVM can switch the monitor source post splitter.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:36 AM

Default S6 monitor switching with Gefen

I can’t use HDMI. Having a difficult time finding any Displayport splitter that support 4K at 60Hz. Think I found one in Amazon for about $75. I’ll try it out and report back.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD

Last edited by lucienpalmer; 03-14-2019 at 12:00 PM.