Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 10-24-2015, 06:29 PM

Default Protools 10 + CPTK to PT HD Upgrade: Getting discontinued?

Hi guys!
I am trying to find out if Avid are planning to discontinue the upgrade path from Protools 10 + CPTK to PT12HD at some point soon? Will this likely stop being an option after the end of the year or does anyone have any information on this. Would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2015, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Protools 10 + CPTK to PT HD Upgrade: Getting discontinued?

This is taken from the Avid website:

Pro Tools | HD 9, 10 or 11, or Complete Production Toolkit Customers Upgrading to Pro Tool | HD 12

Your upgrade path before the end of the year is $599, which gives you the upgrade plan covering any new releases during that year and the support plan as well as access to the new HD plug-in bundle. If you wait until 2016 and beyond, that price goes to $999.

After that, plan renewals cost only $399 each year. Again, if you let the plan expire, jumping back on at a later time will cost you $999 (and then $399 option to stay current going forward).

With the Pro Tools | HD 12 perpetual license you can run Pro Tools 10, 11 and 12 HD on your computer at the same time, if you so choose. End of Snip!!

If i were a CPTK owner i would make sure to upgrade that bedore tye end of this year as it will be $999 dollars the day after new year, And no,one knows what Avids plans regarding CPTK are for the future and can be taken away When (Avid) want to do so .. If you upgrade before the end of this year its a $599 investment but atleast then you know that the initial CPTK investment is safe.

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-25-2015, 02:55 AM

Thanks a lot for that info :)
Old 10-25-2015, 05:07 AM

Or, sell CPTK before the end of the year while it has real value ... it is the only way people can upgrade from PT vanilla to HD without buying Avid HD hardware. That's another way of protecting your investment (by getting a return on it) to some extent.

If you upgrade to PT12HD, you also end up with a license you cannot sell. Avid may change that in the future, or may not, who knows. At least when I upgraded my CPTK to PT11HD I ended up with a license I can sell. Bear in mind that's also true for vanilla ... you cannot currently sell a PT12 vanilla or HD license.

Remember also that if you upgrade to HD at a cost of $599 you are stuck with a much higher annual plan fee in subsequent years .... $399 per year vs $199 or $99 for vanilla depending on whether you need the support plan as well, or just the upgrade plan.

Think about exactly what HD/CPTK features you actually use/need ... most HD features have now been cascaded down into PT vanilla already.

It's a big difference in upgrade cost ... $599 vs as low as $99 now, and $399 vs as low as $99 every year down the line ... for just a handful of differences, and some of those may also be cascaded down to PT vanilla in the future, that's been the general trend since Toolkit features starting appearing in PT vanilla when PT9 came out.

The main reasons for still needing HD are .... surround, a couple of the more advanced editing and automation modes, higher track counts, field recorder workflows ... you should spend a little time looking at this comparison chart so you understand exactly what you'll be paying out the extra money for ...

https://www.avid.com/US/products/pro...mparison-table

Finally, I'd say that it was made pretty clear in the (in)famous September 2015 webinar that we shouldn't be expecting much anytime soon in the way of HD only new features in Pro Tools.

The Avid guys made it clear that the priority for HD software development was improving both stability and integration when using the software with Avid's high end consoles and control surfaces, with 'cool new features' something that is much further along the development timeline.

So unless you use one of those high end consoles/surfaces, you'll be paying HD annual fees for 'cool new features' that will in any case be available to owners of vanilla.

Those are the things you need to consider before deciding which way to jump.
Pro Tools 2018, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 10-25-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Finally, I'd say that it was made pretty clear in the (in)famous September 2015 webinar that we shouldn't be expecting much anytime soon in the way of HD only new features in Pro Tools.

The Avid guys made it clear that the priority for HD software development was improving both stability and integration when using the software with Avid's high end consoles and control surfaces, with 'cool new features' something that is much further along the development timeline.
Let see HD 7 to 8 had 145 new features. Cost was $150.00 that was back in 2008.
HD 9/10/11/12 total 45 new features combined upgrade cost $2500.00!
Since the current CEO is out to kill HD since he came along in 2008 since then HD owners have been getting the shaft every upgrade since every single upgrade has contained fewer and fewer new features.
There is zero vision at Avid giving it's HD customers any real compelling NEW FEATURES in the last 4 years!
Giving vanilla customers HD features in not being innovative whatsoever...
Old 10-25-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Let see HD 7 to 8 had 145 new features. Cost was $150.00 that was back in 2008.
HD 9/10/11/12 total 45 new features combined upgrade cost $2500.00!
Since the current CEO is out to kill HD since he came along in 2008 since then HD owners have been getting the shaft every upgrade since every single upgrade has contained fewer and fewer new features.
There is zero vision at Avid giving it's HD customers any real compelling NEW FEATURES in the last 4 years!
Giving vanilla customers HD features in not being innovative whatsoever...
Yes, and that isn't going to change anytime soon, based on what we've been told.

Hence my suggestion that the OP should weigh up whether upgrading CPTK is a good plan for him, or whether it is better to simply upgrade his vanilla license and sell CPTK while it still has some value.
Pro Tools 2018, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Nigel! I work professionally in audio post production and although I am not a re-recording mixer and do not run Protools in conjunction with a console or larger control surface I do need many of the features that are still only available in Protools HD. The main feature I need day in day out is the ability to edit and 'premix' with surround monitoring. Another feature I use day in day out is some of the advanced automation modes such as Preview and Punch and a few others. Most of my sessions will at some point run over the 128 track count and although I could work around this it would be a small hindrance...I also tend to have more than one video track in my session and although I could again work around this it would make things more complicated. Oh and field recorder workflow is something I do use quite regularly too. So I guess I kind of do need to carry on with PT HD. Right now I am running PT HD10 (PT10 + CPTK) and am happy to stick with this for the foreseeable....however I do not want to get past December and realise I can no longer upgrade to PT12HD and thus lose the HD upgrade path meaning I would have to get a full hardware/software bundle!
Old 10-26-2015, 09:33 AM

On that last point, Avid has updated its policy, though there have been so many policy changes recently who can say how long it will last.

It's $599 to upgrade from PT9-11+CPTK or 9-11HD to 12HD now, and then $399 every year after that.

After the end of 2015, it's $999 to upgrade, and then the same $399 annually. What we don't know is when the plug might be pulled on CPTK upgrades altogether. Remember, going back in time, one day you could upgrade from MPTK and/or DVTK to CPTK, and the next day you couldn't, no warning.

My recommendation, for what it is worth, is that if you are sure you need HD going forward, then every day you don't upgrade your CPTK is a gamble. You should just do it as soon as you can.

Avid has declared that CPTK upgrades will be available at least until the end of 2015, so hopefully you are ok for another couple of months at least. But Avid also said point release updates for PT11 would continue to be made available at no cost, and yet now they've restricted the latest version (11.3.2) to people on upgrade/support plans.

If I were you I'd upgrade as soon as I have the money to hand. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:40 PM

I'm looking to buy CPTK for PT10 if you're willing to sell.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodat View Post
I'm looking to buy CPTK for PT10 if you're willing to sell.
I've got one