Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2020, 11:46 AM

Default Re: protools 2020.03 AVID broke OMF import

#1 I agree this is a huge problem and needs attention ASAP.

#2 If you're getting embedded OMF's tell your editors to start sending AAF. No reason not to. Premiere makes them just fine. For me the only reason to use OMF from Premiere is with external referenced WAV files, sometimes the OMF has metadata that the AAF doesn't. And that changes depending on many factors with their workflow and version of Premiere....

Anyone know a different reason to only use OMF from Premiere? IME it usually comes down to what the editor is used to. They might not have been asked to use AAF for audio before.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
#2 If you're getting embedded OMF's tell your editors to start sending AAF. No reason not to. Premiere makes them just fine. For me the only reason to use OMF from Premiere is with external referenced WAV files, sometimes the OMF has metadata that the AAF doesn't. And that changes depending on many factors with their workflow and version of Premiere....

Anyone know a different reason to only use OMF from Premiere? IME it usually comes down to what the editor is used to. They might not have been asked to use AAF for audio before.
I've had issues with AAFs from Premier before, but again, it could be from not flattening clips or even their version of Premier.

If an editor is working in Media Composer AAFs are obviously great. I've never had an issue. From Premier, I've never had an issue with OMFs with separate audio but the others are gamble and I usually can't justify the loss of time in going back and forth. Again, separate audio is a bit of drag but they've always been stable for me and, as you pointed out, editors are just used to them.

Ryan
Old 04-12-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite Spot View Post
Just to set the record straight - I have met the guys from Fairlight (they are located on the coast and are very cool guys) and I'm at the base of the Blue Mountains and other than the fact we are Aussies that's about all we have in common ;-)

If you are using AATranslator then the best solution is to convert the OMF to AAF or PTX
Correct! But this needs to be fixed..however this worked great when I could not get volume automation to import to a Nuendo desk a few years back for a film mix a friend was helping me with.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-14-2020, 04:44 PM

Any Premier session with a Nested Video Sequence will reek havoc. Premier Editors have to either flatten (or just do a duplicate sequence and trash all video). Encapsulated OMF's are totally hosed. The separate Audio Files folder will work, but relinking can be a pain.

Best results I get are with Embedded AAF, NO mix down to video checked, Split To Mono checked. 24/48 wav with 120 frame handles. Especially on longer format stuff. OMF can't do anything larger than 2 Gig in total size. We should all be asking for AAF exports anyway.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:49 PM

Could not complete the Import Tracks command because OMFI_ERR: Bento container error;In omfsOpenFile

There goes my afternoon!
Old 04-17-2020, 03:49 AM

same here
PT Ultima 2020.3

OMF not opening, broke.
MAC Mojave 10.14.6
Old 04-19-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGross View Post
Any Premier session with a Nested Video Sequence will reek havoc. Premier Editors have to either flatten (or just do a duplicate sequence and trash all video). Encapsulated OMF's are totally hosed. The separate Audio Files folder will work, but relinking can be a pain.

Best results I get are with Embedded AAF, NO mix down to video checked, Split To Mono checked. 24/48 wav with 120 frame handles. Especially on longer format stuff. OMF can't do anything larger than 2 Gig in total size. We should all be asking for AAF exports anyway.
Great point Dave! I wish the whole thing was updated.. It's such an old way of working. Size limits with reels are a mess a lot of the time. Sometimes I just get what I get and if I ask for something else I get pushback depending on what or who I am working with.. Usually with editors I know and they like me, it's a simple request. But you know sometimes it goes the other way if there a lot of heads in the room-:). G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-19-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccam View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just thought to weigh in here because I'm opening OMFs on PT2020.3 on 10.15.3 Catalina on a new 2019 Mac Pro without any issues.

That said, it has to be an OMF with separate audio, not embedded, to work. Embedded OMFs will crash PT 99% of the time... however, this was an issue I'd had for probably the last 6 months, through at least 3 versions of PT.

I work with a lot of different editors, most of whom are working in Premier now, and after talking with many of them about it, I have a few running, albeit unproven, theories:

• There's something in the use of multiclips that causes issues, I think. I believe it's if the editor doesn't "flatten" them first.

• If the editorial team is accessing assets from a centralized server.

• If the editor is working on a PC vs a Mac.

• It's a bug in PT or in the export of the OMF itself.

Again, these are just educated guesses but the first one seems to fix many of the problems I run into.

All that said, as annoying as OMFs with separate audio are, I've been asking editors to send them for months now and I've never had a problem – and I work in commercials mainly these days, so I'm dealing with, probably, 4-10 a week.

Hope that helps.

Ryan

Agreed, As long at the editors point or make sure the audio in the folder is actually pointing there. The problem I usually get is that they forget to do that and I get a prompt that the some audio files are missing or something along those lines. Either way it needs to be fixed so it works both ways. Or better yet something that Avid could figure out for everyone to use that does not require workarounds for our industry in audio post. G
Old 04-21-2020, 11:47 AM

Same problem here : "Could not complete the Import Tracks command because OMFI_ERR: Bento container error;In omfsOpenFile " (Mac OS 10.13.6)
I hope Avid will resolve this urgently.
It's a very big problem!
Old 04-21-2020, 03:18 PM

Hey all.

Just wanted to share my experience after completing a job over the weekend as i've only found out about this issue today.

- The OMF I used over the weekend had nested audio and was created in Premiere.
- I didn't have any issues importing, or using that OMF for all intensive purposes the job was just like any normal job.

So I'm surprised to hear that people are having problems. Although in saying that I can't comment on everyones systems. But wanted to let you all know this doesn't seem to be a universal issue.