Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2002, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Presonus Digimax vs Focusrite Octopre

hi,
I'm trying to decide on one of two products to use with my Digi 001 interface: the Presonus - Digimax 8 Channel Microphone Preamp and the Focusrite - OctoPre Microphone Preamp. My main use will be recording drums and percussion
Old 09-24-2002, 04:20 AM

Hey !! I got an e-mail today from Focusrite saying you need TWO optical lines to run 8- channels- 24bit @ 96kHz. That's bad news for us 001,and future 002 users, since they only have 1 optical line in! Anyone know a way around this? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 05:14 AM

I have the Octopre and am very pleased with the sound of it, better than I was expecting in fact. Also heaps of low noise gain, and useful instrument inputs.

Bill.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:25 AM

COOL!!!! Focusrite e-mailed back only 1 optical line for 48khz @ 24 bits 8-channels!!!!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 09:31 AM

I have the Digimax 96K and like it a lot. I haven't suffered from the "noise" problem people are reporting but I'm fairly new to this and my ears may be a bit dull.

The only problem I have with the Digimax is the limiter can be intrusive on certain vocals. For drums and high transient instruments, the Digimax is very nice and prevents overs.

My opinion...
Old 09-24-2002, 11:36 AM

so what output options DOES the octopre come with? I read the spec online, and I know you have to buy the digital card(s), but it looked to me like it had analog outs included with it. Else it would be unusable out of the box.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:39 AM

Guess I just missed it. Answered my own question, tho.

From Focusrite:

Q: What rear panel connections are featured?
A: The OctoPre has 8 XLR connectors for microphone input, and 8 line level inputs and 8 line level outputs connected via two 25-pin d-sub connectors. This allows the OctoPre to be connected to a patch bay and have every input connected at all times for easy operation. (Note: some competitive products make you physically remove the unit from your rack to switch between +4 and -10 operation, and cannot be permanently wired to a patchbay.)
Old 09-24-2002, 04:54 PM

Quote:
The Focusrite has both digital and analog outs that function simultainiously. It comes stock with neither, you must buy the optional digital card of your choice and the D-sub 25 to fanout for the analog outs.

so what output options DOES the octopre come with? I read the spec online, and I know you have to buy the digital card(s), but it looked to me like it had analog outs included with it. Else it would be unusable out of the box.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's not quite true...it does come stock with the analog outputs. They do appear on a D-Sub connector, but that's pretty standard these days. To say it doesn't come with analog outputs because you need to buy a snake is like saying that any box doesn't come with analog outputs that doesn't include cables, which most don't.

Quote:
What about the Digidesign PRE? I have heard that it is going to be pretty cool.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've heard it, it's a beautiful-sounding preamp. Very clean and neutral, but not lifeless like some of the "accurate" preamps out there. No digital outs, though. I can't help but wonder, though, how much it would cost if it had good old-fashioned knobs instead of all the digital control circuitry.

Quote:
Hey !! I got an e-mail today from Focusrite saying you need TWO optical lines to run 8- channels- 24bit @ 96kHz. That's bad news for us 001,and future 002 users, since they only have 1 optical line in! Anyone know a way around this?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's actually not an issue for either, since neither supports 96kHz audio through the Lightpipe inputs. In general, though, anything that passes 24/96 digital audio through Lightpipe will only be able to do four channels.

I'd be happy with either...I have a Tone Factory, which has the same preamps as the Octapre, and I'm very happy with it on a variety of sources. I also think it's cool that if offers separate line inputs and microphone inputs, where the Digimax LT has those Neutrik combo connectors...can't leave the line ins patched in permanenty and access the mic inputs when needed. At the same time, I've used the older Digimax, and if you don't need the extra bells and whistles, the LT seems to be a steal for the price. The inserts are nice as well. I haven't A/B'd the two, but I'd be happy to use either.

-Duardo
Old 09-24-2002, 06:29 PM

Hey Duardo thanks for the info!! I just ordered my Octopre tonight!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 06:49 PM

I gotta chime in on this one and ask a question with you preamp converter savy guys...

I have a digi001 and a mackie 24*8...

I have never used the XLR/Preamp built into the digo001, just the line level in's and I have heard they arent the best anyways. I have looked at that ART DI/O and it looks to be a great deal for 150 bucks (tube preamp with spdif i/o stereo) and I have read reviews that said they sound great.

Should I get an ART DI/O, a DBX 386, maybe just a A/D and continue to use my Mackie 24-8 pre's, or just a preamp. the guy at Rockley music here in denver says that any converter under 500 dollars will sound the same as my digi001 so maybe i just need to color the sound I record into my digi001 with a different preamp. I have between 200 and 400 to spend and realize I wont get much. Maybe one of those retro looking ART preamps will be my choice or the art d/io convertor. Behringer has some stuff that looks cool but who knows what they sound like. suggestions on A/D's, using my pre's (currently the mackie pre's) and converters (my digi001 as well as my adat) are welcome. Also... since I mix out to my board and back into PT's via 2 tracks, a better A/D would help but maybe that's something i wouldn't want a ARTDI/O or another preamp/A/D to color.How does the digi001 XLR in compare to the mackie 24*8 INs