Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Mac Pro and Protools on both OSX and Windows X

It works! Very cool. I reinstalled my Mac drivers for Bootcamp (plus remembered that I updated my firmware when I initially installed XP Bootcamp on its own dedicated SATA drive) then popped in the HD for XP disc and loaded Pro Tools. Disclaimer: I currently have only a PCIe core card in this MacPro (no additional Accel cards) and have only loaded and played back a couple of sessions. It's really amazing though.. PT on both platforms in one computer (not to mention all my other apps on both OSX and XP).
Thanks again for the heads-up Rail!

len
Old 12-11-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:
It works! Very cool. I reinstalled my Mac drivers for Bootcamp (plus remembered that I updated my firmware when I initially installed XP Bootcamp on its own dedicated SATA drive) then popped in the HD for XP disc and loaded Pro Tools. Disclaimer: I currently have only a PCIe core card in this MacPro (no additional Accel cards) and have only loaded and played back a couple of sessions. It's really amazing though.. PT on both platforms in one computer (not to mention all my other apps on both OSX and XP).
Thanks again for the heads-up Rail!

len
hi
could you tell us what you did exactly? how can I update drivers for bootcamp? firmware..? means firmware of mac pro or 192?

really looking froward to be able to use PT on both systems! thx rail for this!
Old 12-11-2006, 05:00 PM

Hello,

Yes, check for the firmware update instructions for MacPro here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303880

And follow the Bootcamp and creating a CD for the "Mac Drivers for Bootcamp" here
www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Yes, it is the MacPro which has to have the correct firmware. Make sure your using the latest version of Bootcamp.

As mentioned, I also have a dedicated drive for my XP installation on the MacPro (probably won't make much of a difference but I just chose to have it on its own drive).

Good luck!

len b
Old 12-11-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
XP = Stability.

I use a bunch of different systems all over LA and my XP systems never crash - ever! The only reason to use OS X is for the additional memory addressable when using VI's.

Rail
My G5 never crashes either ...

FWIW many Plug-ins are optimized for Mac OS for example Waves are optimized to run more instances.
Logic Pro on XP is a no go for me...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:51 PM

The platform battle is irrelevant.

In terms of plug-ins.
G5 is a G5.
To be honest , the Dual 2.5Ghz G5 in the studio feels much less powerful than my Macbook 2Ghz... (or my AMD Athlon 3800+ x2)

G5 is a PPC machine. for now they're the most compatible.
However for Intel,
There is a lack for some plug-ins or VSTs that you can easily find for Windows.

Regarding optimization.
Waves for example Optimized their plug-ins for AMDs,Intels(SSE2) & G4/G5. also suppose to use better instructions for the desired platform.

But one interesting point -
Since Waves introduce their plug-ins to Intel the Pro Tools boot time became longer than the PPC/OS X boot-time, Making it even a bit longer than the Windows/PT boot-time.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Hello,

Yes, check for the firmware update instructions for MacPro here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303880

And follow the Bootcamp and creating a CD for the "Mac Drivers for Bootcamp" here
www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Yes, it is the MacPro which has to have the correct firmware. Make sure your using the latest version of Bootcamp.

As mentioned, I also have a dedicated drive for my XP installation on the MacPro (probably won't make much of a difference but I just chose to have it on its own drive).

Good luck!

len b
I`ll check that - thx a lot
Old 12-12-2006, 07:43 AM

As far as I am concerned if Rail says it should work that means it's as good as supported.

Yes, XP Pro over home always. It's almost the difference between Windows Millenium and Windows 2000
Old 12-15-2006, 03:41 AM

still problems here...

I updated up to latest boot rom as well as dl latest bootcamp but my XP ist SP 1a - can I install XP SP 1a and then update to SP 2??
Old 12-15-2006, 06:21 AM

Quote:
XP = Stability.

I use a bunch of different systems all over LA and my XP systems never crash - ever! The only reason to use OS X is for the additional memory addressable when using VI's.

Rail
WOW! That's new info. I'm a Protools/Mac user for 8 years and the main reasons are stability and protection (no virus on a Mac). My system (G5 2.0 PTHD3 accel) never crashes either. Maybe times are changing... good to know Rail.

How about virus? How're you dealing with protection on the XP side now?

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 12-15-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
still problems here...

I updated up to latest boot rom as well as dl latest bootcamp but my XP ist SP 1a - can I install XP SP 1a and then update to SP 2??
No! You must have a Windows XP SP2 install disk.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••