Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 PM

Default Low Buzzing During Recording and Playback

Hey folks!

So I'm getting a low, consistent buzzing during recording and playback in my right headphone. When I hit mono on the input on the Mbox 2, the buzz moves to both headphones. However, the gain is not affected by the buzzing, which seems to indicate that at least my recordings won't have the buzzing...but this is going to be a chore to deal with during the mixing process. Please advise, and thanks for all your help and suggestions!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Low Buzzing During Recording and Playback

Is the buzz there with mix knob in both positions (input/playback)? By the title of the thread, I think you indicate this, but good to be sure it's what you mean.

Is it still there if all mics are disconnected, gains down and 48V off?

If so, try hooking up another set of headphones and see if buzz is still there. Being it goes to both ears when mono, doesn't seem it'd be them but if you've got another pair around it's an easy check. If it persists after that you could try hooking up some speakers to the MBox 1/4" outputs and see if a buzz exists there. If not, maybe it's something specific to the headphone output circuitry. I don't feel that it'd be the USB cable, but cables are usually an easy switch and check.

I'd rule those things out first to start trying to pinpoint the source of the buzz. It would help to know all of what you have hooked up in your system.

Last edited by plastikman; 12-06-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: additions, more additions
Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 PM

Thanks for the comments! If I turn the mix knob all the way to the right, the buzzing goes away. However, it's still there when the mics are disconnected, gains are down, and 48v is off. Seems very unfortunately as it's probably a circuitry problem

I'm using a MacBook Pro w/ and Mbox 2 and PT 8. Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:18 AM

Seems to me then it must be something wrong with Input 2 since it goes away when in playback position, and it exists in the right ear when in input position. For the time being I would avoid tracking through Input 2... I'm guessing the buzz would get into recorded material through that input. For a quick test though, track something through Input 2, then turn the mix knob to the right and see if you can hear buzz in the recorded track on playback. You should also check to see if it is there when Input 2 is in both mic and DI modes.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:40 PM

I'll try that. I've been using input 1 this whole time. I'll play with the knobs and inputs a bit to see what I get.