Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2019, 02:40 PM

Default Uad + hdx192

I would like to connect an HDX 192 with my UAD Apollo. But I was wondering if the HDX PCIe card was mandatory?

Because my HDX will not be the master of the chain. Just for the converter in DB25 to add gear

thx
Matth
Old 02-13-2019, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Uad + hdx192

The 192 cannot connect via the Apollo so this is just not a great combination. I suggest you decide how important it is for you to track with UAD plugins. If its important, than you may as well sell the HDX card and 192 and use the money to expand the IO of the Apollo. If tracking with UAD plugins is not important, I would sell the Apollo because the HDX card(with HD or Ultimate Pro Tools software) allows for lower IO latency.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-16-2019, 12:13 PM

I just want to add the HDX 192 to increase the input and my output ...
Old 02-16-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_BLVD View Post
I just want to add the HDX 192 to increase the input and my output ...
Well what you want to do and what you can do are different...

There ain't no such thing as a "HDX 192". You mean you want to add your 192 IO to the UAD Apollo (whether that 192 IO is connected today to a HD Native PCIe card, HD Native Thunderbolt, or a HDX PCIe card is irrelevant)... well as Dave pointed out you cannot. And you don't tell us what UAD Apollo model you have.

The 192 IO is a Digilink interface, the UAD Apollo does not use Digilink in, out or sideways.

The 192 IO also does not run stand alone, so you can't for example use it is a line-in/ADAT-out box to the ADAT-in on an UAD Apollo (assuming you have a model with ADAT in)

And you can't run them separately as interfaces and say Core Audio aggregate the devices, you can't aggregate a Digilink Device in Pro Tools with a CoreAudio device, and you can't use the HDX as a CoreAudio device within Pro Tools.

If you have a Thunderbolt Apollo... the high-end option is buy another Apollo and cascade them on Thunderbolt.

Or pick up any ADAT-out preamp/line in box and go into the ADAT-in on your Apollo, if it has ADAT (the Apollo 16 not).

Or if you want to run HDX plugins at all (sound like you don't)... then you need the interface connected there, and you can add IO by picking up a used cheap 192 IO or HD IO.

If you are moving from HDX to UAD for tracking hopefully you understand the UAD plugin latency issues and needs to run plugins in the UAD Console.

If you want help, why don't you describe *exactly* what you have today, what exact IO you need to increase (how many line-in? preamps?) , and what your budget is and folks here can help you.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:18 PM

You can route the Apollo via 192' ADAT digital I/O. I think you can still connect your Apollo via USB/Thunderbolt and still be able to use the UAD Plugin Mixer for pre effect before going out Digitally to the 192.

Anyone know if I'm right on this?