Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-23-2001, 04:51 PM

Default To every mixers out there...=)

Just wondering if any of u that have done a mix internaly in protools and with some outboard stuff...can u tell us which songs it is so we have something to listen to? Just to see how good it can get in the protools envirement without any analogue console...I'm a mixer engineer myself, and will probebly set up a protools mix-studio with all the tdmstuff that i can get with lots of outboard and of course a procontrol...So should i go for it??? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2001, 06:48 AM

Default Re: To every mixers out there...=)

Yes.

I've produced and mixed in Pro Tools these cuts:

LFO - Every Other Time
Mandy Moore - Crush
Willa Ford - Did You Understand That

Hope that helps
Old 10-24-2001, 11:24 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Produceher:
Yes.

I've produced and mixed in Pro Tools these cuts:

LFO - Every Other Time
Mandy Moore - Crush

Hope that helps
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you Shep or Kenny ? Great stuff and congratulations on the cuts !!!!!

DennisB,

You can hear one of my cuts on the "Kiss of the Dragon" soundtrack, a tune called "Adore You", recorded and mixed in Pro Tools.

Rob Hoffman
Old 10-25-2001, 12:33 AM

I'm Kenny and I'm going to the store today to buy your CD.
Old 10-25-2001, 02:33 AM

Yesterday i listened (from an AUDIOCASSETTE copied to PT) to a song that i made 10 years ago just mixing with a Mackie CR 1602 with a Lexiverb and a Digitech sfx.

Well it sounded better than my latest PTmixplus songs in terms of spread, low end, space and ... pleasure....

i was deceived
Old 10-25-2001, 10:16 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Produceher:
I'm Kenny and I'm going to the store today to buy your CD.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, thank you. It was actually a demo we did for a singer/actress that the music supervisor heard and decided to use as is. I've got other stuff out there (Christina Aguilera for one) but, just as you've stated in other threads, the tracks usually get sent to a "mixer" guy to be mixed on a SSL.

Rob
Old 10-25-2001, 06:44 PM

Produceher, Robmix...Do have any tips for me on achieving that "warmth" in the PT environment. I'm starting to get pretty cole to it by boosting highs anywhere from 10 - 15k along with compression and comping (with vox mostly)? Also, creating space in a busy, rock/electronic style song. Thanks for the help...and I enjoy your work (I'm a DJ/producer/artist, so I've had a bit of a hand in helping your songs sell to the kiddies.) Thanks for your help
Old 10-26-2001, 01:59 AM

LFO - Every Other Time
Mandy Moore - Crush
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are nice cuts.

If you don't mind my asking, where do your drum samples come from? Any particular processing or effects used on them?

Congratulations, and thanks in advance for the info.
Old 10-26-2001, 10:10 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hardnox:
Produceher, Robmix...Do have any tips for me on achieving that "warmth" in the PT environment. I'm starting to get pretty cole to it by boosting highs anywhere from 10 - 15k along with compression and comping (with vox mostly)? Also, creating space in a busy, rock/electronic style song. Thanks for the help...and I enjoy your work (I'm a DJ/producer/artist, so I've had a bit of a hand in helping your songs sell to the kiddies.) Thanks for your help<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me it starts during tracking, all my tracks (synths included) go through Neve's, Focusrites, and other preamps. Everything goes through mogami and monster cable directly to the 888. I usually don't EQ when I'm tracking, a little 10k here and there and some high pass filtering. I've been using the Compressorbank 670 emulation on my two buss along with the Cranesong HEDD. For plug-in's I try to stay with the ones reccomended on this message board that do the math correctly - Filterbank and Channelstrip mostly. That's really about it. I do use some outboard compression - Neve's and 1176's during the mix as well.

Hope that helps,
Rob
Old 10-26-2001, 09:21 PM

I only use Neve Mic Pre's running through a Daking EQ running thru a Distressor running through an Apogee PSX 100.

I have one Neumann TLM 103 and a 57.

I use Plug ins on very few things.

Almost never use compression plugs

Focusrite EQ on Acoustic guitars and Backround Vocals.

Usually Filterbank on snare.

I don't use surgical EQ. Just add a little top and Filter out some lo's on stuff.

I find the more you do with plug ins the worse things sound. If I bypassed my plugins during the mix, I bet you'd barely notice.

On drums I usually find a live sounding kit on Drum Tools (Roxette guys) CD or Popped Volume I. Then I filter some busier loops underneath it from, Gota Yashiki or Loopalicious or I'll just play a beat recorded with one microphone and line up a kick and snare to add to it.

The Willa Ford song is an exception cause it's more programmed based instead of loop based. It's all MPC 3000.

Now for programming I've been using Reason exclusively.

Also although I have previously mentioned sending things to an SSL, these three cuts and all 4 cuts on the LFO CD were all Pro Tools completely.